Thursday, May 17, 2012

A Year With Depression: My Journey with PostPartum Anxiety and Depression

As the title says, I've been struggling with depression and anxiety this past year.  Lately, it hasn't been much of a struggle as it has been more of a win for depression.  Like most things, I'm not sure why this is, as despite my best efforts, it seems to be getting worse.  

Historically, I've always struggled a bit with anxiety and depression, so after Brixton was born, I was vigilant to watch out for signs of postpartum depression.  So I watched.  But I didn't see any.  When I looked at the list of symptoms, I didn't see myself.  Yes, I was crying A LOT, I was very emotional and sentimental, but I felt happy.  I was getting enough sleep. I loved my new role as a mom and I didn't feel 'depressed.'

Still..something was off, but I couldn't quite but my finger on it.

It came to light in October after I stopped pumping.  I was on the phone with one of my besties in California when things got serious.  I admitted to her that I wasn't feeling right.  I had been having panic attacks, calling Brendan in the middle of the night sobbing and unable to get my words out, so overcome with fear that I felt paralyzed.  I had horrible thoughts of someone breaking into our home and hurting or killing me.  I can't count how many hours I laid awake, listening to what I was certain was a shadowy figure with a glinting knife coming to stab me.  

I was afraid of simple things like going out on walks on windy days, for fear that a tree branch would fall on me.  At the gym I would suddenly have an overwhelmingly chilling feeling that someone was walking up behind me with a gun and they were going to shoot me in the head.

Most disturbingly, I was having thoughts about me being dead.  Specifically, hanging from the cords you use to pull the blinds up.  I wasn't thinking about hanging myself, it wasn't a suicidal thing, it was more that I would "see" myself hanging there.

I told my friend this, even though as I told her I was afraid of what it all meant.  Was I crazy?  A bad mom?  She let me know this wasn't normal, even after having a baby.  I started investigating, because I still wasn't fitting into the mold of having postpartum depression.  

I did some research and found that a small percent of women get postpartum anxiety.  Did you know this?  I sure didn't.  Some of the hallmarks of postpartum anxiety are: extreme anxiety, panic attacks, and intrusive thoughts (thoughts that just randomly pop in your head for no reason, like seeing yourself hanging from a cord).  Some women experience thoughts about all the things that could harm their baby, including themselves.  This is different than wanting or planning to harm your baby, this is realizing all the ways you can harm your baby (like dropping them).  I did not experience this. 
I thought I might be on track to figuring out what was wrong with me, but I didn't do anything about it.  We were busy.  Life went on its merry way.  The holidays were coming.

The anxiety was still with me even though it had a name now and I knew I wasn't crazy, but on top of it I was developing good old plain depression.  In December I would just sit on the couch blankly staring.  I was tired all the time.  I just felt sad. I would shower once a week. The word depression is the perfect description of the condition, I felt like something was literally weighing down on me, affecting my ability to do things.  

After about a month, Brendan had had enough. He insisted I get some help, because he didn't know what to do for me.  And we were fighting.  All the time.  Anxiety doesn't just manifest itself as worry, it also turns into irritability, anger, rage.  I wasn't taking that out on Brixton, so Brendan was the easiest target.  That wasn't making anything easier for anyone and it just added to the stress, anxiety, and depression I was already feeling.

I started seeing a doctor in December.  As it goes, she wanted to put me on medication immediately upon my first visit.  I hate that.  I don't mind medication, but why the rush?  Especially since I wasn't suicidal or asking for it.  It bothers me that they never ask about eating and exercise habits either.  Those things factor in big time when it has to do with your mood and brain chemistry.  The fact I had had a baby 7 months prior didn't seem to matter (which makes no sense to me at all).

I declined the drugs.  

Around this time I stopped eating sugar and I was exercising a lot.  I felt really good and my mood improved (and I lost 5 lbs!) Brendan noticed a big change. 

A month went by.  I met with the doctor a few times, still refusing drugs until there was an official diagnosis.  After some testing (ink blots and about 400 questions--kind of fun, really, and very interesting) I was diagnosed with major depression and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I agreed to take a very minimal dose of anti-depressants, which seemed to initially help me even more. But then I started eating sugar again and stopped exercising, which made me feel worse again (and I gained back 4 lbs...boo).  


So here I am.  Still struggling with this, knowing that if I cut out sugar and start exercising that I'll feel heaps better, but feeling so unmotivated and low that I am having a hard time starting.  


I wish I had known more about postpartum anxiety and had been able to see what was happening to me in those early months.  I felt so out of control, so afraid and overwhelmed.  Plus, it's not easy to tell people you thinking about yourself hanging from a cord without sounding like it's a cry for help.  Maybe I would have gotten help sooner and could have avoided some of this.  


I didn't really want to share this on my blog, which is why I'm writing about it 6 months after it started.  It's kind of an overshare in my opinion, but part of me doesn't mind being honest about this.  There's no shame in it and someone out there might need help.  

If that's you, if you are experiencing depression or anxiety, please know you aren't alone.  There is help available to you. 
I only encourage you to look at all aspects of your life, including diet and exercise to see if those things can be improved before popping a pill.  

When things get too tough, when I feel overwhelmed and just want to curl up in a ball and go to sleep for 100 years, I just think of this:


and it's enough to get me through..and he doesn't come in pill form.

21 comments:

  1. Kelley, I'm really glad you are getting help for the depression and anxiety. I never would've guessed you were struggling so much because your blog always makes me smile. Depression is a tricky bitch, isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogs are good for hiding the truth behind, I've found. Nothing better than getting to write and edit your own life and present a facade or a snippet of what's been going on. Not that I present a facade, but you know what I mean. And I guess I should also add that just because I've been down doesn't mean there haven't been good times too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelley, thanks for sharing this. I've never given birth so I'm not sure about the postpartum thing, but I have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety. It's terrible. I'm glad you can see the silver lining of things, I'm learning to see that too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is terrible, it's hard at times isn't it? If you find any tips or tricks that help you, pass them on! xo

      Delete
  4. I'll be praying for you my friend. Have you checked out seeing a naturopath? Lots of nutrients and supplements available to help improve your mood. Bioidentical hormones or B12 shots...they can do tests to see if there is a cause other than a chemical imbalance in your brain. Like adrenal issues or low levels of b12 (very common if you don't eat a lot of meat).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't seen a naturopath. I've been doing lots of research on natural remedies, but there is really nothing concrete for depression. I am going to have my thyroid checked. Low thyroid runs in my family and that can contribute to depression. And yes, please pray. I need it. xo

      Delete
  5. thanks for sharing this. i've always been an anxious person, and having children has been the only thing that actually made my social anxiety go away. on the other hand, now whenever peppy and i go somewhere and leave the kids with my parents (who i absolutely trust) i have to take a deep breath and remind myself that everything is going to be ok.

    you're a brave woman, and a lovely mama. i know someone out there is going to read this and be inspired to get the help they need. it's always nice to know that you're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've struggled with social anxiety too, but having a baby to kind of front has made it easier. I just wish I could be "normal" but then I'm sure I'd have something else to deal with. Isn't that just the way life is?? It's never really easy for anyone! :)

      Delete
  6. (((((HUGS)))))

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a brave girl to share. Thanks so very much. I too have fought anxiety off and on for years. Your right, diet and exercise always helps but sometimes, it just attacks one. No reason it just hits. But Knowledge is Power! As long as I know what it is and I know I am healthy I can overcome it. It does get easier to throw off:) I also gained weight on medication so I just do my self help tips and win:) I will be thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Evelyn, I really think diet and exercise make a big difference. Unfortunately that ties in with motivation, which depression kind of saps. I'm just trying to keep it all together!

      Delete
  8. Dear Kelly, Its been brave of you to share this here. I have to say I had no idea, because every time I come here to read you you always make me smile with your witty sense of humor. I wish I could make you smile back too...I'm sure you have enough reasons in your life to do it, and specially to overcame this phase. I'm confident you will. When I had my baby girl, I was a bit overwhelmed too with all the work with a newborn that I had no experience with, the lack of social life all of a sudden, and also not working for so long. For me and some friends the "not working" outside the house is a big change. Getting back to have an activity that does not involve baby care helped a lot, it makes you feel useful to society and have some time for yourself. But there are also negatives in this, schedules are harder and you have to use kindergarten, leaving your baby with others. And I guess that says it all.
    I hope you get better soon and find your way back into your old self.
    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I didn't want to "exploit" my depression while it was at its peak for my blog, so I never said anything. I decided though since I'm feeling a bit better that I wanted to share, since I know a lot of people struggle with depression/anxiety, but mostly because I never knew about PPanxiety and I wanted to put more info out there. I love being a mama and don't want to work, but I think I struggle in finding work in my home, having a schedule, having a routine, etc. Thanks for your comment, Tania. :)

      Delete
  9. I love that you wrote this. I have suffered from mild to increasingly more severe depression, anxiety and OCD since high school. I was always able to cope and move forward until shortly after Peyton was born, in which is became unbearable. Finally, this past year I sought treatment and outside of the extreme constant fatigue I have, I feel like I always imagined normal people feeling. Thanks for sharing your story. Mama's have it hard enough, add on dealing with something totally internally, and the shame and guilt become overwhelming. We should be encouraged to talk openly about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh..what normal people feel. THAT'S what I want. Normalcy. We should be encouraged to talk about these things. I feel badly for women who feel shame or think they are "crazy." Talking helps. So much.

      Delete
  10. Kelley, I just started reading your blog after I saw it on Facebook. I have to say, I am addicted! I love your writing!
    I am sad to hear you had to go through PP anxiety. I had to deal with some anxiety in the past and I know how difficult it is to deal with. I know so many people who had to go through PP depression and/or anxiety - it is so common and hardly anybody ever talks about it, so I am glad you do because it's important that people know that they are not alone. You are very brave to be so honest.
    Let's get together for a play date soon!
    PS: You made me want to blog again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it! And I want you to blog again because I want to see more of your photog skills!

      I've been meaning to invite you and Anne Marie over for a playdate, but this week completely got away from me. We need to hang out soon though!

      Delete
  11. I had no idea you were/are going through this Kelley. So much love being sent your way. I wish we were closer so we could share our lives and children together. I'm glad you are feeling a bit better and I hope this continues xx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we were closer too! I guess it just makes our visit to NZ all the more special. We need to come down again soon. Thanks for the love and support. xo

      Delete
  12. I, too, suffered from PP Anxiety, PP Depression, and PP Psychosis. I totally understand where you are coming from. It helps the healing process to share your story and it does help others. I have shared my story so many times and I believe I have helped other mothers out there to better understand postpartum mood disorders. Hats off to you girl!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!