A mouse saved her young from a ferocious cat by barking 'bow wow'. After the cat ran away, the mouse said to her offspring 'See, children, it pays to know a second language'
-After Efstatiadis
I wrote of my desire to raise Brixton bilingually in this post, written two months before he was born. I wasn't really sure how it was going to go. German isn't my first language and I speak it imperfectly, plus it's a lot easier to just say things in your own language (duh). It was a slow start. I had to retrain my tongue, my throat, my lips, my brain. I had to start thinking in German. I had to stop translating everything and just start talking.
Within a few weeks, with my German dictionary in close range, I was speaking quite a bit of German to Brixton each day. On good days, I would speak mostly in German to him. Some days I wasn't motivated, but all it took was pointing out a few objects in German and I was off and running. I wasn't willing to give up something that is so important to me just because I lacked the motivation.
We have a small collection of German books, generous gifts from friends, and we read them each day. I have German music, which plays in my car more than I'm willing to say. I also started a German Playgroup in our area and we've met about 9 other moms with children that also speak German.
Brixton is starting to respond to language, whether it's English or German. I'll ask him in German where his elephants are and he'll start looking for them. I ask him if he wants his bottle in German and he gets excited. So something is happening, his brain has filled in the gaps in my own understanding to make it possible for him to comprehend. It's a magical process really, something beautiful to watch unfold.
Still, many days I wonder if I've done enough. It's a daily struggle, a daily battle to slip over to my German-side and let the words flow. I have to say though that the more I do it, the easier it is and more natural it feels.
Some tips from me to you:
- Make friends with other moms in your target language. It's good for you and for your child to hear and speak the language, plus other speakers might have different dialects or vocabulary that you wouldn't be able to introduce.
- Just start talking! The more you practice, the better you'll get and it won't feel odd to you to be speaking another language out and about. Even if you are just able to string a few words together, your child will learn them. I taught an 18 month old to respond to me saying 'Where is your nose?' in German by pointing to her nose. It took one day. Kids learn fast.
- Don't know a word? Look it up! In the early days I kept a list of words I couldn't remember or didn't know--for example, I never knew the word 'diaper' in German. I use it now all the time, but if I hadn't taken the time out to look it up I'd still be using the English word for it. Peppering in English here and there is bound to happen, but I feel like it makes it more likely to trigger a 'switch' back to English.
- Get your hands on all the books/cds/dvds you can! Incorporating a second language is a lot more fun for you and your child, when it's actually presented as fun! Not only can you and your child learn new vocabulary from books, but the more you read the books out loud, the better your intonation and accent will become over time. I also translate the simple English children's books (think 'Brown Bear, Brown Bear What do you see?') into German in my head and just recite it the same each time.
- Get some practice yourself! Read a book in the second language, write an email, listen to music. Anything that immerses yourself in the language will trickle down to help your child as well.
Relax! If you have a bad day (or string of days) where you don't speak the second language at all, realize that your baby will still be able to learn. Even using the language for 30 minutes a day will help baby hear the sounds and intonations of the language.
- Don't Give Up! It's going to take a looong time. You won't see instant results, but if you let it all simmer for a good year and a half or two..well, imagine that day when your child says their first word in the second language. That was all you (so seriously, use that to negotiate for something..a new purse? A spa day? You are amazing, after all!)
Are you raising your baby bilingual? If so, I'd love to hear from you and get any tips you might have!

I love this idea! I think it's wonderful that you're raising your baby bilingual! I actually hadn't thought of it until now, but if there is ever a time to do it, it's now. They're little sponges soaking up everything around them. I entertained the idea of learning French in college. Maybe I'll introduce it to Jonah and we can learn together.
ReplyDeleteGreat post; thanks for sharing!
Happy Holidays!
Kate
i am but i'm telling you it's so hard and i have been sooooooooo bad lately.
ReplyDeleteit all started in august when we went to wv for a month. i started speaking more english cause of my inlaws and so on.
now, because Lily speaks mostly english, ok all english with the except some portuguese words, i speak a lot more english with her also.
it's hard!! i'm the only one!
Ich bin so stolz auf dich, dass du es eisern mit der Zweisprachigkeit durchziehst! Einfach klasse!
ReplyDeleteLeider zweifele ich auch manchmal, obwohl finnisch meine Muttersprache ist. Es ist auch nicht sehr aufbauend, wenn man merkt, dass viele andere finnisch-deutsche Kinder hier in Deutschlanfd in der "Isolation" lernen, mit einem krassen Akzent zu sprechen. Zumindest ist das mir gestern in der Weihnachtsfeier der Finnischen Sprachschule aufgefallen.
Meine Kinder gehen gerade mal seit 3 Monaten in den deutschen Kindergarten und jetzt schon möchten sie lieber NUR deutsch sprechen, weil es einfacher ist! Wir haben kein finnisches Au Pair mehr und das macht die Sache schwieriger. Wie du auch schon meintest, man müsste noch mehr Kontakt zu anderen Leuten haben, die die Sprache sprechen. Am Besten geht das in unserem Fall in Finnland, weil dort einsprachige, finnische Kinder gibt, die nun mal kein deutsch verstehen. Dann müssen unsere Mädchen finnisch reden.
Ich muss zugeben, dass ich wahrscheinlich den "Fehler" mache, dass ich das, was sie auf deutsch sagen, verstehe und nicht drauf bestehe, dass sie mir alles auf finnisch sagen würden. Mittlerweile sagen sie manche Wörter deswegen auf deutsch, weil sie das Wort entweder auf finnisch nicht kennen oder es ihnen nicht gerade einfällt. Oft frage ich dann "meinst du das...?" und sage das fehlende Wort auf finnisch.
Es ist kein einfacher Weg mit der Zweisprachigkeit, aber ich denke, dass eine gewisse Grundlage an irgendeiner Sprache es einfacher macht, jede weitere Sprache zu lernen. Ich persönlich dürfte nur nicht die Messlatte zu hoch setzen...
Brauchst du Bücher, CDs oder Ähnliches aus Deutschland? DVDs sind glaube ich nicht kompatibel, oder?
Liebe Grüße
Elina
PS Sorry, das mein englisch nicht (mehr) gut genug ist, den Beitrag auf englich zu verfassen :-(
Kate~ Happy Holidays to you too! I think even just incorporating a few foreign words into your child's vocab is awesome and could spark some motivation later in their life to learn a language!
ReplyDeleteClaudia-It's hard, huh? It takes REAL EFFORT to do it..and I see you are heading back up to wv..good luck to you!!
Elina~ I'm sure your English is (still) besser als mein deutsch!!! Ich glaube die Sache mit den Maedchen ist oftmals den Fall. Kinder wollen wir ihre Freunde sprechen und nicht "die komische Sprache von Mama o. Papa". Vielleicht aber spaeter..gib nicht auf!!
Danke fuer die Angebot (??) ueber die Buecher und CDs..zur Zeit, glaube ich dass wir genug haben..ich denke auch, dass die DVDs nicht kompatibel sind. Hast du meine Postkarte bekommen?
Great post. I too am raising my child bilingually, my husband is Chilean and we live in Chile . My oldest Maia is already speaking both but seems to prefer English right now which is probably because I'm at home with her most days and all I ever do is talk to her in English, read to her in English and sometimes watch the ocasional English educational programme but she totally understands Spanish too, I guess now that she's at a Spanish day care, her spoken Spanish will improve but I will always speak to her in English no matter what. I am half German, but was raised in England, German mum, Dutch father so was raised with three languages but not once did I feel it confused me in any way and I understood all three perfectly by the age of 3!
ReplyDelete