Thursday, March 29, 2012

Stuff Lately 3

  
It's been almost a month since we've moved into the city.  A month of boxes, countless cups of coffee (or cafe au lait..my newest obsession), playgroups, names of new friend, GPS programming, and getting lost despite said GPS programming.

City life is fun.  We are constantly busy.  Mondays we have either My Gym or a German playgroup.  Tuesdays we go to a playgroup.  Wednesdays we go to a playgroup.  Thursdays we go to Bible Study and if Brix can handle it--a playgroup.  Fridays we go to My Gym.  

I can't tell you how many dozens of moms and babies we've met.  I've met quite  a few German speakers, so it's been great for that endeavor.  Today's playgroup was a little quiet, all of us moms seemed to stare into space a bit while our kids milled about, no one had the energy for the usual chit-chat.   I am outgoing, but I start off a bit quiet and clammed up.  I love finding people with things in common.  I'm always curious where they are from, what they do, if they speak other languages--something to connect us.  I find I'm drawn to people from other countries, I find their stories so interesting.  


Something else I'm finding?  I'm old.  All these moms are young.  They all seem to be in their late 20s, still pretty young flowers in bloom.  This old flower is starting to wilt.  I keep forgetting I'm older.  But I know they know.  

 


Brixton is moving and groovin'.  As the above picture indicates, our house is not baby-proofed beyond the electrical outlets.  I don't think we'll do much baby-proofing.  We do need a gate for the stairs, which Brix reached yesterday in about 20 seconds.  But all the other stuff?  Not going to happen.  

 

I had to put a nice "please turn down your bass" note on our neighbor's door.  If I was a braver person, I would have just knocked, but I'm not, so a well written and light-hearted note was penned instead.  My reward?  Oh, they turned the bass down, but they then turned the volume waaaay up.  So what do I do from here?  A flaming dog turd?  A plate of cookies?  I hate neighbors. 

4 comments:

  1. Es freut mich, dass du eine deutsche Spielgruppe gefunden hast. Ich finde, es hilft enorm, wenn man nicht die einzige ist, die eine Fremdsprache mit seinem Kind spricht. Für Kinder scheint es wichtig zu sein, dass auch andere Kinder in derselben Situation sind.
    Ich freue mich riesig auf unseren Urlaub in Finnland nächste Woche. Meine Beiden müssen nun mit einsprachigen finnischen Kindern klar kommen :-)
    Es wäre auch super schön, wenn ihr uns in Deutschland besuchen würdet. Nächstes Jahr Sommer haben wir endlich mehr Platz, wenn wir die Renovierung abgeschlossen haben.

    Elina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Viel Spass in Finnland (ich glaube du bist jetzt dort). Wir haben es vor, eines Tages nach Deutschland zu reisen..und wir werden euch bestimmt besuchen kommen! Danke!

      Delete
  2. ok, 1- if you are old, i'm vintage, ancient, whatever you want to call it. and yes, city life is fun. even though we live in miami beach, it works like a small city, always stuff to do. you cracked me up with all the playdates cause that's how i was. until recently. enjoy it now cause your energy to put up with them daily will disappear. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vintage! LOL! I like that! Ahh..playdates. Fun, I guess. I'm just hoping to make some friends. I told Brendan that out of 100 women I meet, I think only about 1-2 of them could be good friends. It's hard finding people you really connect with and then actually hanging out..but I'm trying. :)

      Delete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!