Have you ever decorated something in your home but it didn't quite feel right? Well, I'm there.
I pinned a million gallery walls on Pinterest, but in true Kelley-style, didn't really investigate how to really make a gallery wall all proper like. By proper like I mean plotting where the pictures would go, making sure everything was straight, etc. Nope, I just took a hammer, some nails, and just kind of went for it.
Brendan hates it.
I'm not sure how I feel. It's kind of fun. I like that it's not perfect. It has different shapes and textures. I included a "slogan" picture, which I always scoffed at in the past.
And yet, something just doesn't feel right.
Or am I wrong? Is this the most awesomest gallery wall you've ever seen? Okay, yeah, I've seen better too.
So here are some pictures of what I'm working with. Peruse, contemplate, opine.
I placed a poll on the sidebar for votes and if you would like to comment further, I would love any suggestions or constructive criticism. Seriously, you won't hurt my feelings, so just tell me what you think. The truth.
P.S. My house is messy. This is real life y'all.
Um, do you see a little someone making trouble? Right hand side



Hi! Ok, so I think the concept of your wall is a huge hit. I LOVE it in the first picture because there isnt any conept of its size in comparison to the area. But in the ones where you show a wider angle, I think its too large for the wall its on. I also think that if you had shelving or an entertainment center for the TV, it could work. But its size combined with the fact that your eyes are drawn to the TV setup makes it too busy over the entire wall.
ReplyDeleteOkay, yeah, I've heard from others that it's too busy. I wish we could have more of an entertainment system too, but the owners had the cable lined wired into the wall this way, so we had to do it. Thanks for your feedback!
Deletei really agree with the comment from KellyY. it looks awesome, but there needs to be a tiny bit more space in between your pictures and the tv.
ReplyDeleteOkay, so just too much stuff everywhere. Got it. Thanks!
DeleteI think it looks really cool. If something looks askew to you, it's probably just the angle of the frames (a few of them look like they could be easily straightened). I applaud you for going at it full throttle. I'm starting slowly on my gallery walls. I have an enormous amount of stairwell space to contend with.
ReplyDeleteWell, full throttle is a lot cooler when it works. Now I'll have a wall of nail holes to be patched. :(
DeleteYou know what I think?
ReplyDeleteThe larger frames need to be in the middle, and the smaller ones on the outside, 'radiating' from the largest inside to the smallest outside.
The largest one (running men) is in the top right making it feel top-right-heavy.
Switch the big ones near the center and only little ones around the outskirts. It'll look a lot lighter.
And yeah, what the other said about it being too big for the wall. Maybe scrap one large one and then try what I said and it'll fit much nicer
I like the radiating idea. My husband wants to take down the big pictures so we'd get rid of those ones. Thanks for your advice!
DeleteAlso try to keep an even distance from one to the other, the bottom left three look like they're almost touching and others are far apart
ReplyDeleteWell, that part doesn't bother me. I kind of like it when they look "messy" and not too uniform.
DeleteI can see what you went for, and the general idea is quite cool. But, yes, maybe the area used is to big. I've seen it in other places, using family pics only. Also with different frames and styles. I have also seen this kind of thing from interior decorators who use it with plates - using different colors and sizes. I love your "saying" about happiness.
ReplyDeleteBut overall I like it :)
I liked the idea of mismatching everything--some pictures, some mirrors, some different colors and textures. But it's just not working :(
DeleteI appreciate you taking chances and trying something new and different. I alway have trouble reaching outside my comfort zone. IMHO, I would only keep the big star. But who the heck am I to offer decorating advice. Cheers!
ReplyDeleteLOL! I'm seriously thinking about just using that big star and calling it good! Ha ha
DeleteI like the idea of different textures, some framed stuff, other stuff unframed/not square in shape. But, I wonder if it's too much. Part of that goes to what others have said above (too many items for a small space), but I wonder if it also could be improved with a more consistent color of frames. So, instead of some light, some dark, some unframed, some art, etc., maybe all the frames should be dark to make the look more cohesive? I dunno. I like the idea of these walls and give credit to anyone who tries it!
ReplyDeleteBTW, hi from Cheers 2029 (someone gave away your blog address =) ).
Oh...I know who..Calista! I have to meet her still! Welcome to my blog! I ended up taking the whole wall down (well, not the wall, but you know, the frames! Ha)
DeleteCrazy I just did a gallery wall myself! I like yours, but think its too symmetrical…you can still use everything, but I like the idea of trying to be a little more spaced out and not fit into a square. I don't think you have to necessarily put the larger pics in the middle, it will still look good if you get it outside the square shape that it is in. :)
ReplyDeleteUgh..I just scrapped the whole thing. Gallery wall fail. Would love to see pics of yours though!
Delete