Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Is He Yours?

Welcome, welcome everyone, to this edition of...


Rude, or Not Rude!

I'm Kelley, your hostess with the mostess!  (Claps)  Now this game is really easy, I tell you a story from my 'real life', and you tell me if it's..

(audience yelling)

RUDE OR NOT RUDE!  (claps, whistles.  Someone brought in a vuvuzela, but security is escorting them out now).   

So I went over to Whole Foods the other day with Mr. Brixton.  We had a great time going up and down the aisles, sampling an olive spread from exotic Michigan, and watching our wallets drain out as we loaded the cart with various, delicious, goods.  

While standing in the check out line, the woman in front of us turned around and started cooing over Brixton.

"My, he's so handsome"

"Thank you!"

"How old is he?"

"He's just about 11 months."

"What's his name?"

"Brixton."

(Pause while processing weird name.)
 |
 |
 |

"Oh, I like that!  Brix-ton."

(Pause).

 "Is he yours?"

THE FOllOWING HAPPENED IN .3 SECONDS IN MY HEAD: Obviously, lady.  I'm certainly not his grandma if that's what you were thinking(Isthatwhatyouwerethinking?OhmygoshdoesshethinkI'mhisgrandma??)

"Well, actually, since you asked, my story starts several years ago.  You see, I never wanted children and even told my husband, then boyfriend, that on like our 3rd date.  A few years passed and I still didn't want kids.  We got married and then we talked about it briefly but then we chickened out and carried on like we had a million more years to put it off.  Then I got a little older and we fell on hard times because of the recession.  I had to become a nanny again and I completely fell in love with the little girl I was watching.  I then decided that I wanted to have a baby.  It took a few more years to get my husband on board, but one day he was joking around saying something about our non-existant future child and I started crying because I didn't think it was funny.  It was then that he noticed I was serious and his goose was cooked.  I was pregnant 4 months later.  I had a really easy pregnancy and ended up having the baby 2 weeks early, which was great.  Luckily he was healthy and adorable, so we decided to keep him (chortle).  The moral of this story is, don't ask questions like "Is he yours?" in a grocery store to a complete stranger since you obviously don't know what kind of answer you are going to get.  And yes, he's mine."

Okay, I didn't say that.  I should have. Here's what happened:

"No, I just picked him up on aisle 3 next to the organic kale chips.  If you hurry you might be able to get one too.  There were only a few left."

I wish I had said that.  It's just snarky enough to answer the question without really answering it.  

The truth, folks?  Although I felt a little sting of sadness that my baby doesn't look enough like me to convince a stranger that he's mine, I'm far too polite to be rude to someone, even if they are treading on that kind of gray area of manners and asking questions that really don't need to be asked.

That's why I just raised my eyebrows up a bit, gave a tight-lipped smile and nodded yes.

So, ladies and gentlemen, what do you think?  Rude or not rude?  Has this happened to you?

  


 

19 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if she was being rude but that definitely falls into the category of moronic questions. Why would someone even ask that? Why not just stick with "cute kid" and move on? We get lots of funny looks and questions about Brees' name: people either love it and high 5 us or they roll their eyes. I guess that's what happens when you name your daughter after a quarterback. I've only been a smart ass about it once, though. This one lady asked me about her name: "You mean, like, Drew Brees? Are you serious? Oh come on!!" eyes rolling and facial expressions galore. She was obviously NOT a football fan. So, I replied, "Yep, as in Drew Brees. She was conceived exactly 9 months after the Saints' won the Superbowl. Let's just say mama and daddy had a REALLY good time celebrating that win, you know what I'm sayin'!!!". Her face immediately turned red and she walked away. See ya biotch!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally don't think she was trying to be mean, it's just one of those questions that make me think "Whaaaa??" I had no idea Brees was named after Drew Brees. As a Chargers fan, I find this adorable, although he couldn't help us out much in San Diego.

      Delete
  2. i cannot tell you how many times i've been asked if my children are mine. at least with them both having flaming red hair the questioner can assume they at least have the same daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm..that's a tough one. In my case people just assume I am a nanny because I am a bit younger and it is definitely ANNOYING as hell. It really, really bugs me. I suppose these kinds of people are just curious and don't realize how stupid of a question it really is. I'd definitely have to lean to the side of rude tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you with your youth, I'm sure you get it a lot. It's a rudish thing to ask, I guess, not mean, just kind of a weird question. I didn't take it too personally, I just wonder what makes someone ask that. :)

      Delete
  4. I get this all. the. time. Not only am I a young Mom for this area, my boys look extremely different from each other. I get the "Are they yours?" followed up by the even better "Do they both have the same Dad?" But really, I don't think people truly mean harm by it. And yeah, I would probably wonder too. Although I don't think I am brazen enough to ask a perfect stranger! Babies make people ask the STRANGEST questions sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I think the Dad question is waaaay ruder than just asking if they are yours. That's like RUDE! Just asking if they are yours is just 'kind of' rude I guess! :)

      Delete
  5. I haven't, as yet, been asked if they baby is mine (which I do think is a rude question), but I have had people I've only just been introduced to ask if I am breastfeeding. I find this question really rude. Why do they care? My baby has chubby cheeks, so she's obviously not starving, so why does it matter how she's fed? I answered 'yes' to one lady how asked & then five minutes later mixed up formula in front of her! Strangers, or near strangers do ask the weirdest things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, the breastfeeding question. My answer was always complicated since I only pumped. Maybe people are just looking to have something in common with someone else? It's the only thing I can think of. :)

      Delete
  6. In almost any other city besides Chicago it may be rude. There are SO many nannies out shopping with babies. I remember being out at a park with Scarlett thinking I might e the only actually mother at the park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just feel like I'm much older than the average nanny. Oh well. It's not so bad. PS I swear one day we will meet! I know we keep missing each other at the meetups!!

      Delete
  7. So very rude. And I would have loved replying back something sarcastic enough... but before I would I'm sure my husband would have jumped in saying something funnier. I can't wait to have baby just so i can say something like that... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky to have a quick-witted hubs. Mine always tells me I'm rude when I stick up for myself! :-P

      Delete
  8. RUDE, for sure. As I grow older, I become more and more certain people's brains leave them as soon as they open their mouth. I'm always too polite to respond with what I really want to say, but I certainly think it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't think people really think sometimes before they ask things. I'm sure she didn't mean anything by it. I just felt sad--I'M THE MOM PEOPLE!!

      Delete
  9. LOL LOL LOL

    Incredible the things that happen to you! I loved your thought's on it - all the scenarios and things you eventually didn't say to the lady and ended up to just being polite, even if she wasn't so. Bravo! One thing I believe is that you should not act the wrong way just cause someone did it to you.
    Still (not being there to see the whole thing happening) maybe she wasn't being rude.
    (One of my rules of thumb -> always think the best of people)
    Maybe she thought you could be just a sitter taking care of Brixton.
    This kind of thing hasn't happened to me yet...And I am turning 34 with a 1 year old - but people keep thinking i'm still in my twenties :)))
    But I know it happened worse for my father when I was a kid. Because he got a lot of grey hair very soon, someone once said to him on the street (referring to me) something like "oh, how nice, taking a walk with gradpa!". And he was pissed of! For what I know he didn't even answer! LOL

    Hey, life is short. If you look at it all from the outside, its a good laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, first of all, I am also 34 with an almost 1 year old and no one think I'm in my 20s, but that's a whole other post. :D

      I can't be rude in situations like this--in the end, she wasn't being malicious or nasty, just a bit thoughtless.

      Yes, life is short, if we can't laugh or at least roll our eyes, what's the point?

      Delete
  10. i used to think it was rude until i was the only mommy at the park with my own kid cause all the other kids are with their nannies. not rude.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!