A few weeks ago Brixton and I took a trek to Costco. I like going to Costco, but I don't love it. Normally it's the kind of place where I have to gear up mentally to enter, since I feel like it's part cart-derby, part wallet-drainer. I've seen people knock into other people just to get a sample of some pizza bagel you zap in the microwave. Not my scene.
But there we were.
We strolled around, pleasantly surprised at how empty it was. I snagged a few samples, something I usually don't do since it's like a mob scene near them. Brixton flirted with passing women while trying to escape out of the cart.
That's when we rounded a corner and saw them:
53 inch tall teddy bears.
Huge. Fat. Fluffy. Soft. Full of teddy bear goodness.
Brixton squealed in utter delight. "Tedeee" he said, like he was greeting a long lost pal at the arrivals gate. We rolled over to them. I pulled one out and Brixton clung to its neck, kissing it, screaming, making people look our way. The teddy waved and said hello. A few more teddies said hi. Then mean mommy put them back and we started on our way.
Brixton started getting upset. Luckily, he's at an age where out of sight, out of mind is still in play.
Today we went to Costco again, this time with Brendan. We went to get some luggage, since the bag we just bought broke on its maiden voyage. What started off as a strict "we are only getting luggage" fell down that slippery Costco slope of, "let's grab a watermelon" "hey, I need 3 lbs. of Gatorade mix" "do we have any toilet paper?" Soon our cart was filling.
And then, we rounded the corner. You know where this is going, right?
"Look!" I said to Brendan while nodding toward Brixton. "Watch what happens."
We rolled Brixton over, who, like on command, put on a big show. "Tedeeee!" I went to the book section while Brix and Brendan frolicked with teddy.
Again, Brixton was upset when we left teddy, but he mentally let it go.
He did, but Brendan didn't.
B: "He'd sure love to have that teddy."
Me: "Yeah, too bad it's huge and his room isn't."
B: "Did you see his smile?"
Me: "Yeah, so cute, huh?"
By this time we were in line. Brendan got this wild, wild look on his face. I could see his thoughts and they were brown and fuzzy.
B: "I'll be right back."
Me: "Brendan...what are you doing?" I don't know why I asked. I knew.
He was gone for a minute. I thought somewhere between the frozen food aisle and the 10 man tent he would come to his senses. Surely he wasn't going to buy a $30 teddy bear for his son, especially one that required its own seat belt and possibly its own room.
He came back around the bend, but was partially blocked by other shoppers. His hands appeared empty.
But they weren't. In them was a 53 inch teddy bear. Dark brown.
I couldn't help it. I grinned from ear to ear. Brixton saw it and freaked out with joy. Brendan was the hero. Smiles all around.
Let me tell you something about buying a 53 inch teddy bear. You instantly get attention. EVERYONE was looking at us. Actually, they'd all look at Brixton hugging the bear, they'd smile, then look at us. It was embarrassing. We were those parents today, the ones who can't say no to their kid. It felt great.
We couldn't. And here's why:
That bear is huge! Oh, we do it all the time, or my husband does anyway...
ReplyDeleteThe bear is ridiculously huge! Brixton really does love it though!
DeleteYou did it! We usually avoid that bin when we go to Costco, but after that cuddly picture I might have to consider it ;)
ReplyDeleteI'm going to have to avoid it in the future--no way we could have two of those things hanging around!
DeleteI sooo almost bought one of these for my kids!! But the math didn't add up - - no way am I buying three giant bears. So cute, though.
ReplyDeletexo, Hincks
I'm going to buy one for you to cuddle with at night and then you can think of me. You know, cuz I'm hairy and brown. (????)
DeleteYou are??? How long has it been since I have seen you???
DeleteTahoe 2013 baby, YEAH!!
Hincks
Dads are suckers! We had a similar thing happen this weekend. It wasn't a ridiculous purchase moneywise (it was only $3.99), but it was ridiculous because it's so UGLY. This pink plastic toddler chair that Alexa was attached to and Daddy just couldn't say no.
ReplyDeleteOh, Father's. I imagine it's even worse with a little girl. They have those little girl eyes, you know.
Delete*Fathers. I hate errors.
DeleteIt IS the eyes. Plus, he's always so worried about her comfort level, like she's incapable of crying or telling him if she is in pain. I'm not sure if that's a Daddy thing or just an H thing.
Delete