Monday, August 27, 2012

When My Favorite Blogs Go "Corporate"

I follow quite a few blogs in my reader, though truth be told, I only really read about 10 faithfully.  Some of us blog purely for ourselves or far-away family, while others dream of making it big--who wouldn't want to get sponsored posts/free stuff/ads going on their blog?  Who wouldn't want to make some side cash to support their SAHM dreams?  (Or put back into their blog--like Deanna--which I think is awesome!)

I know I wouldn't be sad.

But there is another side to it.  Blogs I really, really liked that became big suddenly feel...like constant advertisements.  Every post refers to a brand, linked for your shopping convenience.  Or product reviews, or sponsor posts, or whatever they do to make that dough. 

We get it shouting from us at all angles already--TV, radio, other internet sites, special emails from companies--buy! buy! buy!--and then you want to relax and catch up on your favorite blog and it's like "sponsored post by..."  blah. 

It's a fine line, isn't it?  Because this success that some crave can also alienate longtime readers, you know, the ones that made you popular..

Not long ago I decided to pay for an ad space on a blog.  I'll do this from time to time, especially with blogs I really like, because what's a few bucks between friends?  Anyway, I didn't really LIKE this blog, but the writing style is similar to mine so that's a good way to find some new readers (and in turn, some new blogs to read!). 

One of the "perks" of my ad "package" was a sponsor post (yep, just like the one I complain about above).  I wait, thinking the blogess will certainly email me.  I wait.  I wait.  No email.  "Fine." I think.  "Maybe she's going to visit my blog and write her own take on it."  Again, waiting.  

Guess what?  Month ends--no post. No email.  No acknowledgement. No new readers, in fact, no traffic whatsoever from her site that I could tell.  And probably a big part of that was that she just plain didn't care enough about her "sponsor", a little fish, a tiny fish in a big, big, huge pond.  

That's the part that irks me that most I think about "success."  It's a very false success in this blogging world and it's easy to assume you are so big you can forget about the "little people."  

I just felt like complaining.  Maybe some of you can also relate.  

-The Writer of a Small, but Very Awesome Blog.  

 

25 comments:

  1. I totally agree! I have deleted several blogs I used to love from my reader because they posted WAYYY too many sponsor posts. I don't mind reviews, because i've found some awesome stuff from blogger reviews, but too many sponsor posts annoy me- i'm there to read the writing of the blogger whose blog it is, not every other blogger out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes reviews are cool. But I'm with you...I usually don't care about sponsor posts. Sometimes I find a new blog that way, but most of the time I don't even look!

      Delete
  2. This same exact thing happened to me!! I sponsored a particular blog because she was giving all of her sponsor money to a charity I really love. I paid for the spot, sent her all the info, and then never heard back!! She didn't even post my ad!!! Seriously, on the Richter scale of give a shit this registers at like a 1 in real life. But the whole point of it irked me. Chick took my money and then didn't even post the stupid button or do the sponsor post. What a crock! My fav blogs are the blogs about real life people living real life. Like yours, of course:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh...I have lots of guesses about who that could be..That is so, so lame!! I can't believe she took the money, but never put your button up! Hey lady, 'round these parts that's called stealin'. --Hope you guys are safe from the hurricane BTW...xo

      Delete
    2. ok....so now i am paranoid that this was me! (and i really hope it wasn't.) one month i donated all of my sponsor money to a recovery house. liv has been a paying sponsor on my blog before. so i really, really hope it's not me she was talking about. and if it was, i swear it wasn't intentional!

      Delete
    3. I think you could do that Deanna, and it would be so obvious it just slipped your mind, not that you don't care about someone. Anyway, I bet it wasn't you! Liv??

      Delete
    4. wasn't me! i emailed her. ::sighs in relief::

      Delete
  3. I really dislike sponsor posts. I don't mind them occasionally but when that is all I see from the blogger I just stop reading. I have only sponsored once because the blog had a thing running to directly donate to St Jude's and send her the receipt, which I liked and did. She left up my link forever too. That was nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Occasionally is okay, I guess some people like them. I feel like I read waaay too many of them and it's like..blah..

      Delete
  4. This is such a good post. there are blogs that I use to love, but every post is a sponsor post. It makes me wonder if the content is even sincere or just thoughts manufactured for a sponsor. Honestly if there is a sponsor post I skip it. And if I hear another thing about blogher I'm going to gag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *I just threw up because you mentioned Blogher. I thought I might go next year because it's going to be in Chicago and I already live here..we'll see. I just want to go to the parties :) Otherwise I think it would be painfully awkward and fake (for me). I don't do well in situations like that.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Yay! I'm finding more people that feel the same way I do! Good to know I'm not the only one!

      Delete
  6. You sponsored my blog and I hope you weren't left feeling disappointed! If so, I would happily refund your money. Did you contact the blogger? Perhaps it was just an error? I took down my sponsor section a while ago because I too was tired of reading sponsored posts...so I assumed my readers were too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As if. I LOVE your writing. You are one of my fave reads!

      Delete
  7. I hear ya girly girl. It's a fine line, especially for someone like me. I want to get to BlogHer - not to become a big time blogger and make tons of cash...but I want to meet my friends. I would LOVE to get sponsored partially or in full...but companies look at numbers. I have never, nor will I ever, "make" people follow my blog for giveaways, etc....yet I do understand why they do it. There's power in numbers, unfortunately. I'd rather have a group of followers that truly READ my blog. I have stopped reading giveaway only blogs and blogs that only do sponsored posts too. The odd one, I totally get it. If someone's going to offer me $50 to write a post on my blog though...probably gonna bite that fish hook and put the $50 in my #BlogHer13 account! Not all the time, but once in awhile, you know?

    P.S. Sorry I mentioned BlogHer...but I also plan on not doing a hoard of pre and post BlogHer posts on my blog...I still want to gag a bit. I hope you go, we'll be awkward together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, friends is the only reason I would go to BlogHer. And the parties. Not because I drink, but because I want to wear fancy clothes and dance! I guess I could just go to a club or something..no thanks..I hope you get to go to BlogHer! I'd love to hang out with you!

      Delete
  8. I agree. My posts are lucky to get 10 views total, but I don't care. I like recording my life, and now my running, and that's enough for me. It would be nice to have some more readers, but I don't have the time or motivation to work on my writing or my blog to make that happen more. I am trying to click over from my reader to comment more often on posts that I like though. I've stopped reading a few blogs because every post seems like it is now a sponsored post or a giveaway. It's one thing if I know that going in, like Young House Love. But if a "regular" blogger becomes sponsored it bugs me. I'm happy if it earns them money or freebies, but I don't like to read the posts myself and usually stop reading altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's great for them with all the perks, not so great for readers. I miss their old posts..just about themselves/their lives.

      Delete
  9. I agree! I paid for a ad and was robbed! The lady blamed passion fruit and said that she uses them because she just can't deal with ALL the sponsors. Ok lady get over yourself :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hear ya, this bloggin gig is a strange one....and I think your blog is AWESOME :)
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  11. I couldn't agree with you more. I'm sorry that you experienced this. I feel that bigger blogs should post a few days a month or maybe once a week to all the sponsorship. I really don't like hopping on to see all the sponsor stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like there's always something on there--giveaways, reviews, sponsors..makes me tired..and bored.

      Delete
  12. Such an interesting post. I completley agree. In fact, I no longer do sponsorship on my blog. I just decided that it is a lot of work and I didn't want to go in that direction. However, it is such good way to meet new friends and new blogs.

    And, I agree with your insight on the bigger blogs. It seems so less personal. I want to make sure I stay true to myself and why I blog.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!