Tuesday, October 2, 2012

10 Things About My Trip

**I forgot my SD card at my parent's house, which means I don't have photos from the first half of my trip.  I know this devastating news has made you sad, and for that, I apologize.**

1.  Regarding traveling alone with a toddler: ugh.  The first flight was great.  He got his own seat, played, ate, and then slept for almost two hours.  Perfect!  The second flight was only 1.5 hours, and while he was a "lap child", no one ended up sitting in the middle seat and a kindly lady sat at the window.  It went fine.  The third flight?  He was a lap child the whole 4 hours.  And while it wasn't the hell I thought it would be, the squirming, high-pitched screaming, attempting to touch the lady next to us and "the thermos incident" (you'll hear about this soon) didn't help.  Either did a bout of scary turbulence that made me gasp and almost start to cry.

2.  The best part about my trip was hanging out with my Grandpa.  He's turning 92 in February.  He remembers everything.  He's hip and up to speed on current events.  He's a great dresser.  He always offers me a Dr. Pepper when I go up to see him.  What do we talk about?  Everything.  You know what he gave me?  A quilt.  A quilt that my great-great Grandma made and it's around 100 years old.  That means so much to me.  (Note: I also got to see my Grandma who will be 93 in February.  I wish we could have got to spend more time together.  The older I get, the more my heart grows for her.)

3.  The second best part of my trip was hanging with my bestie. The first night, we laughed, we cried, we built each other up, and called each other out.  We talked about babies, husbands, friends, clothes, music, tv, life.  We shopped.  We ate.  She got me hooked on The Voice.  She is my sister wife.  It's true, I've got the ring to prove it.

4.  I shot a gun. Guns freak me out.  They should!  They kill people!  My brother Kurt, home from Afghanistan for 6 weeks (he's a private contractor..), took me and taught me.  He's such a good teacher.  I shot a Ruger .22 handgun and then his rifles.  Wow! I had so much fun.  Brendan and I are going to go shooting again soon. 

5.  Brixton learned two new words: Lily and sit. He also took 8 steps in a row, then stubbornly refused to walk anymore. 

6.  Girls wear waaaay too short of shorts. I can't really go into details on this.  I wish I could, but I like to consider this a "family" blog.  Let's just say that young ladies should keep their privates private. (Is this a new trend or something?  Anyone seen this?)

7.  I gained about 5 lbs. Trader Joe's Butter Waffle Cookies, coconut macaroons, peach rings.  No wonder. I got the stomach flu 2 days after I got home though, so they are already gone.  Win? I'm just going to chalk it up as one, though every time I'm sick, I'm just reminded of how grateful I am for health.

8. There is no place like home, and by that I mean the place you grow up, learn the world, make memories, get scrapes and bruises, have your first kiss, rebel against your parents, stay up all night with all your best friends.  Even though I don't have anyone anymore in my hometown that I stay in contact with, going home always brings forth the ghosts of our times together.  And what times we had.

9.  San Diego is still my homeboy. I love that place and would move back in a heartbeat.  The ocean, the houses, the sun, the overly dressed up people at Fashion Valley mall, the surgical enhancements..ah..I'd almost forgotten what a great place it is. 

10.  I hate luggage. My brand new luggage that I just got to replace my other brand new luggage that broke on its maiden voyage?  Yeah.  No bueno. My big bag was 2 lbs. overweight, so the airline lady asked if I could move something out of it into my lighter bag.  I moved some stuff, then went to lock it up.  It wouldn't shut.  For 10 minutes.  I was mortified.  I cried behind my sunglasses.  Brixton whined.  The line grew longer.  I was sweating.  Finally, they taped it shut.  And then Brendan fixed it in San Diego (where he pseudo-surprised me there for a night).  


So, now I'm home, still fighting this stomach yuck I got (I think because I ate eggs over-easy--my bad).  Fall is HERE, in case you were looking for it.  The leaves are all golden and russet.  The day are cool and the nights cold.  I would be getting out my holiday decorations..except one thing.

We're moving. 

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear more about your trip! You're amazing for traveling alone with him! 4 hours on your lap, I shudder just thinking of it!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!