For years, I wished I could wear lipstick.
Corals, oranges, reds, pinks.
I was attracted to all those colors.
I saw models wearing them in magazines and on TV and I liked it.
I saw people on the street walking by with colored lips and I liked it.
Sometimes I would go to MAC
with this image in my head.
I would find the lipstick I wanted to try.
I'd put it on.
In my head I'd still see the model's face
Or the girl on the street.
So when I saw myself in the mirror,
it wasn't the image I was expecting.
The lipstick was so bright.
It drew so much attention to my face.
It made me embarrassed.
I felt uncomfortable.
I liked the lipstick, but I didn't like the idea of people looking at me.
What if people thought I looked ugly?
What if I looked like a clown?
What if...
What if...
What if...
I couldn't do it.
For years, I wished I could wear lipstick.
I got older.
My skin changed.
I developed the dark shadows of melasma on my face.
Lipstick was out.
I didn't want anyone to see me.
I didn't want them to see my flaws.
I got even older.
I had a baby.
Now I was a mother.
Lipstick is for young people, I thought.
Not middle-agey ladies with babies and melasma.
Deep down I still wished.
I turned 35.
I had had enough.
I'm not old, I told myself.
I feel young.
I'm tired of feeling afraid
of what
my husband
my friends
neighbors
strangers
other moms
bloggers
might think.
I want to feel good.
I want to keep taking chances.
I want to express myself
Even if that means I look different.
Or even if no one else likes how it looks.
I went to the store and found the lipstick.
I tried it on.
It was so bright.
So bold.
I felt afraid.
But I bought it.
I wore it.
I waited for people to stare.
To laugh.
To roll their eyes.
I noticed no one did.
When I felt self-conscious,
I just smiled as big as I could.
Don't smiles make everything better?
I thought so.
The weeks rolled on.
I kept wearing the lipstick.
I kept lightening my hair.
I wrote about faith and God.
I challenged my fears.
I did the things others said they didn't like for me.
They were the things I wanted to do.
I am 35.
Too old to be afraid.
Too young to give up.
A mother.
A wife.
A friend.
A stranger.
A daughter.
A sister.
Who wears red lipstick
and doesn't just wish anymore.
wow. and here i thought you were just going to talk about red lipsticks and what shades are better. lol good for you. i think red is a shade to grow into anyway. red looks better on more mature women. life is about taking chances and keep growing!
ReplyDeleteYes--taking chances and growing! Exactly. And I think you're right about red being a shade you grow into. I think when a young face wears red it can be...provocative. On an older face, maybe a bit more subdued.
Deletethis is beautiful! red is such a great color... i havnt had the courage to try it.. but I need to :)
ReplyDeleteFind your red Beatrice! You can do it! xo
DeleteI love this post :)
ReplyDeleteAwww, thanks Melissa! Glad you liked it!
DeleteGood on you, mama! I'm not confident enough to wear lipstick! I don't care what anyone else thinks...I just don't have it in me to pull it off!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! The number of times I've thought ALL of these things. I would love to be able to wear lipstick, but I just feel strange in it.
ReplyDeleteI should be braver, I should be braver!
Great post xx
Kate
Just Pirouette and Carry On...
I always put lipstick on...and then catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and wipe it off because it's too bright. Maybe tomorrow I'll go and buy myself something bright - and not wipe it off this time! Thank you!x
ReplyDeleteI don't know how I missed this post! I'm glad you linked me to it on the blog today...
ReplyDeleteIf only I had read this sooner, I think we all have that fear about our own personal "red lipsticks." Except, mine really is (WAS!) red lipstick. And skinny jeans. And guess what? I feel fabulous wearing both...together even!
YAY! For those red lipstick days, may there be more of them!