Thursday, January 24, 2013

Struggling to Find My Place

**Thank you to everyone who took the time to answer my survey!  I appreciate all your honest and helpful answers and I came to a realization:  the people who read my blog are really nice.  Seriously.  I've been blogging for over two years and have only received one negative comment the whole time and it was just from a random Google troll.  So thank you!

Growing up in my Northern California small town, we attended the same church for almost the entire time we lived there.  We went just about every Sunday--to both the bible study service as well as the main church service, often followed by pizza at Round Table and family nap time.  Then I went another night a week--to Awanas, a bible study, youth group event, whatever.  

Church was important to my parents, but I didn't really think it was important for me.  I believed in God.  I believed in Jesus.  I was able to use my own brain to question, doubt, accept, research.  We talked and continue to talk a lot about Christian stuff at home (my parents').  

I didn't like church though.

I didn't really have any friends there.  The girls that were there were bullies.  I felt lonely, picked on, and invisible.  I wish I had had more confidence, but that didn't come until later.  And by the time I had it, I had closed the door on church.

For a long time, I didn't go to church at all.  I still considered myself a Christian, but one who had strayed far from any kind of recognizable Christian path.  Those are the dark days of my early 20s, years I wouldn't ever want to repeat.  

Even when I did find a church I loved, I still struggled with going regularly and ending my bad habits.  Bad habits like boyfriends, cigarettes, clubbing, staying out at parties until 7am.  

But, I kept trying.  

I went to the same church in San Diego (The Rock) on and off for about 7 years.  I loved that church.  Maybe too much.  After we moved away to Denver I kept comparing every church I tried to The Rock.  After a few years of comparing and always feeling disappointed, I realized my problem: I wasn't trying to worship God, I was trying to find the place that I liked.  And that should be secondary.  

I had that epiphany right before we moved into Chicago.  Then I found a fantastic church on the first try.  I loved it.  Every week the message was inspiring, full of scripture, applicable.  The people were my age.  There were wonderful programs like Awanas, women's bible study, outreach groups.  I was really excited about getting involved.

And then we moved.

Now I've been attending a church in our new area for about 2 months and I've come to the conclusion that it's not for me.    It has nothing to do with the worship songs, or me not liking something about something, it's simply that I feel an urge, a push, to try somewhere else.

So, here I am uprooting and starting again. 

It's worth it though, however scary it can feel.  Because when you find that church that you really connect with, it makes it easier to find that connection to God.  The older I get, the more I see going on in the world, the more that connection is becoming of number one importance to me.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I can relate to this so much. I have always been a Christian. I just have never found a church that I feel comfortable in or want to go to. I can feel SO, SO uncomfortable in a group of people, even in a group of just a few. I think to myself 'how can someone love Jesus so much, but not like going to church?' Then I think about what I am teaching my son by NOT going. And, honestly I can be just plain lazy, and not want to go because I work full time and want the weekend to myself and kiddo. I know, not good.

    What you wrote about going to church to worship God- not going for a place you like really hit home. It's so true. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think about the example I'm giving Brixton if I don't go to church. It's hard because sometimes I can be way lazy about it all--church, bible reading, praying. But in the end, it should be the most important thing in my life. That's hard!

      Delete
  2. Awesome post!!! Im at that stage of comparing every church to my last fav' church! Thanks for putting a new perspective on it for me!! I hope you find your new place soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope I do too! It's difficult not to compare churches, but I want to make sure I remember it's about obedience and worship--not just about how I feel. Good luck to you too!

      Delete
  3. I was born and raised Catholic, but never really had a great connection or understanding of what it meant to be Catholic. During college I went to mass here and there, but not consistently. When I got married, Hubby G and I didn't have a religious ceremony because he wasn't Catholic and had some negative connotations associated with the Catholic church. Even so, we both agreed that religion was important to us and we wanted to find a church we both liked. We tried a couple, but I just knew that even though I was trying really hard to be open to other churches, my heart was always with the Catholic church. I love that mass is the same no matter where you go, although the homily varies greatly with the priest. I love that it is so deeply rooted in tradition and I love the respect and honor with which we give Mary- especially after becoming a mother myself, I feel so much more of a connection with Mary and it feels really good to know that the Catholic church sees how important a mother is as well. Hubby G really liked the traditional feel of the Catholic church as well and we both really liked the priest at the church that just happens to be right down the road from our house. So Hubby G decided to make the commitment and be confirmed in the Catholic church- it's a long and intense process, but we BOTH learned so much through it and because I had gone through my faith formation when I was so young and had forgotten a lot of it, I re-learned a lot too. The whole process brought us together and we feel so much more connected to our faith. I know that Catholicism isn't for everyone, but I do understand how good it feels to find something that you know it your heart really fits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. while reading that I felt like I was reading something I could have wrote myself. When my husband and I moved to Chicago we fell in love with the moody church...it was our sunday school class that we really loved. I am so sad that we are not there now actually. The church we have now in Huntsville is good too, but finding that place where you just FIT is really hard. Once you find it you don't want to move!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!