Have you ever signed your kid up for a tot class, like music, dance, or art, only to find that there's one other kid in the group that messes it up for everyone else?
Yeah, that happened to us today.
We had our first "Tot-Rock" class, another ho-hum attempt at wasting 45 minutes in an otherwise bleak day of diaper changes, being slapped, and small toys underfoot. (Not that I'm bitter or anything).
Brixton was so excited at first. Running into the middle of the circle. Screeching with joy. Dancing. People around me were like, Wow, what a cool kid! And my mom feathers got all fluffy with unabashed pride.
But then this kid showed up. He didn't want to sit in mommy's lap during instruction time. He kept trying to pull stuff off the table, making the teacher turn around and encourage him to sit back down. He threw his tambourine. His mom tried to make him sit, but she was failing miserably and I guess she decided making a toddler sit down in a Tot-Rock class is like making someone leave Target without spending at least $50 over budget. And the kid kept farting. Everywhere. Loudly. And each time he did it, he would say, "Toot-Toot". So disgusting and tasteless.
I got a picture of the little class-ruiner:
It's weird, his name was Brixton.
Half-way through the class, Brixton became a wildebeest (yes, that's how you spell it. I had to look it up). He ran without direction during the times everyone else was sitting still, yet he stood frozen when all the other kids were running around. He growled and roared and screamed, which all the other parents thought was cute and charming at first, but not so much the 20th time around.
At one point, he went up to a little boy, pointed at his shirt, then slowly moved his finger up to the little boy's cheek and back down to the shirt. Why? What does that mean? Who knows. The little boy stood stock still in the apparent belief that if he didn't move, Brixton wouldn't be able to see him, in the same way the people in Jurassic Park were told to stay still so the T-Rex wouldn't see them. The little boy's mother, afraid that Brixton's behavior was catching, ran over to her precious, bent down and made sure he wasn't traumatized, all the while keeping a wary, evil eye on Brixton, lest he try to do that pointing thing again.
At the end of the class, I was exhausted, everyone was avoiding eye-contact with me, and during the good-bye song, where everyone else sang out, "Goodbye Clare! Goodbye Aiden!" with clear, strong voices, when it came our turn it was more like, "Goodbye Blah blah...." and I swear someone said, "I hope you don't come back", hidden in the clapping rhythm of the song.
But we will be back, folks, 10am Thursday. This tot was made to rock.
hahahahaha....I'm sure it was not funny at all at the time, but your re-telling of the tale here is fantastic. Whilst reading through the first part I was like, "man...she's being a little harsh on this random kid..." -the picture of Brixton was just under my scroll line, so I didn't yet have appreciation for the sarcasm. The farting comment did me in!
ReplyDeleteHa ha! I would never be that harsh on a kid--anyway, the whole thing wasn't really that big of a deal. Brixton was just "spirited" today I guess. :)
DeleteTotally didn't see that one coming! Well done! :p
ReplyDeleteThanks, hope you got a chuckle out of it!
DeleteWe did 16 weeks of Wiggleworms at Old Town and let me tell you - every time was different. When we first started, Linnea was running from parent to parent, trying to sit on everybody's lap. She completely ignored that parents might want to play with their own children. She also completely ignored me. By class 4 she started spending most of the class in my lap, not making a peep and that continued throughout the 16 weeks. She was also the only child that would not sit on the parachute and most of the time she wouldn't even run under the parachute. This kid has trust issues. I hope it's not my fault.
ReplyDeleteWhat Brixton did doesn't sound bad. We had a boy in class that would hit and push the other kids every time. When the toys came out, he'd run around and try to get every one of them and if some other kid already took it, he'd just rip it out of their hands. His mom was all like "Well, he is just a kid, he doesn't understand ...". That's something I was not OK with and I made sure Linnea didn't get near him (because every time she did, she ended up on the floor because the little boy "didn't know his own strength", as his mother would say). So tooting and growling is really nothing to be worried about.
I can't imagine Linnea ever being bad. She's so sweet and angelic looking. I don't really think Brixton did anything wrong. I guess I am afraid of losing control of him, which will happen at some point. Mostly, I like using these stories to exaggerate. I would def. not be okay with Brixton ripping toys out of other kids' hands or hitting--his newest obsession. Hopefully we'll still see you guys on the 26th?
DeleteUnless one of us gets sick, we will definitely see you on the 26th!
DeleteLinnea is usually great when we are somewhere else but at home she can be a little, walking tantrum. Those terrible twos are just lovely.
I love this! The entire time you were describing "this kid", I imagined him looking like Liam. Glad to know I'm not the only mother who deals with a spirited kid every once in awhile.
ReplyDeleteMy kiddo does the same thing in gymnastics. Sometimes perfect angel listening and doing as he is suppose to and others...Well lets just say we took a break from gymnastics this session. We will try again in the spring.
ReplyDelete