There's something that we need to talk about. It's not cloth
diapers, nap schedules, or nursing. It's not books, toys, The Bachelor,
new shoes, the weather, that new annoying thing you've discovered about
your hubs, or that time you almost got into an accident in a parking
lot.
It's depression. It's anxiety. It's
bipolar disorder. It's panic attacks. It's anything from Schizophrenia
to OCD. It's the entire spectrum.
It's mental illness.
17
years ago I started my journey with depression and anxiety. It's not
really something you talked about then. There was still a stigma
attached.
"I heard his girlfriend was taking anti-depressants." That statement was still scandalous. Obviously she must have been crazy, if not a little dangerous.
"How
sad that you have to pay someone to talk about your troubles." That
was the voice in my head, the one that kept me from seeking therapy,
treatment, a name to my problems.
And I had a lot of problems.
Crazy,
out of control spending because I was so filled with despair,
depression, and anxiety that I physically had to feel the release of
shopping, of new things, new hopes, something to fill the darkness
inside of me.
Far too much dependence on boyfriends,
the constant need for one, the way I let them define me before I could
ever define myself.
Seriously, through my 20s, I
was single for a grand total of about 9 months. Not much time to figure
out who you are, let alone how you work or how you can improve
yourself.
The way I handled stress? Shopping, calling
my mom crying my eyes out, not eating or just eating junk food, making
lists of ways I was going to change or control my money (I would spend
hours writing lists). When I was anxious I didn't eat. One of my
boyfriends broke up with me for a week. I didn't eat for an entire
week. When we got back together and I started eating again, I was sick
because my body didn't know what to do with the food.
Spiritually
I was a mess. I considered myself a Christian. I went to church. I
was part of a small group. I hung out with a lot of other Christians.
But I still drank. I went clubbing almost every weekend. And then I
felt guilty, promised a new start to myself, prayed for forgiveness.
Then Thursday night came. And Friday night. And Saturday night. It
was exhausting, this cycle. And depressing. If I couldn't trust myself
to make changes, who could I trust?
I got older.
25, 26, 27. I still clubbed a lot, because I was in a relationship with
someone 5 years younger. I didn't drink because he frowned upon it.
The relationship was horrible. I was always so unhappy and anxious, I
lost 6 lbs. I was so invested, I wouldn't leave my house. I wouldn't
go out with friends in case he called. One of my best friends from high
school lived about 2 miles from me. I saw her about one time in a
year. I would go to bed at 2:30 to wake up at 6 to go teach. It didn't
work out and I was devastated. But then one month later, I met
Brendan, because clearly, I just couldn't be alone.
I
thought being married would put me in this happy, safe bubble. I
thought my husband and our marriage and our relationship would finally
reveal who I was. I didn't realize he couldn't be responsible for all
that.
Our marriage? A disaster from the first
month. Constant fighting, making up. Moving. I grew more and more
depressed and full of anxiety. After almost 5 years of marriage we had a
baby and it all changed for the worse.
I guess the
Baby Blues are normal, but I was so emotional. I also became almost
paralyzed with fear. Around every corner someone was going to shoot,
stab, or rape me. Men were going to break into our house at night while
I was alone and horrible things that I don't care to write were going
to happen. In my mind, it was detailed, every last gory detail. I
started having panic attacks. I started seeing myself hanging from the
blind cords. Taking a walk was a problem because I was pretty certain a
tree branch was going to fall on me.
It took me 7
months to get help. After a week of sitting on the couch like in a
trance, not showering, not changing my clothes, being so angry with
Brendan for no reason, feeling so trapped and knowing something was
wrong with me but--here's the kicker--the depression was so strong I
couldn't find motivation to seek help, let alone battle with the
insurance, I knew for the sake of it all, I had to figure it out.
And
you know what? People don't want to talk about this topic. It's a
subject that's talked about in quiet whispers in corners. And it
shouldn't be. That's exactly what depression, anxiety, all of
that stuff--that's what it does to us--it shoves us in a corner, tells
us to be quiet, and not to tell our secret. When we start talking about
it? We find a friend with similar problems. We find a friend that
suffers with debilitating anxiety. We find a family member struggling
through a bipolar diagnosis. We find the hope in some who has been
there, done that, and has moved through it all successfully.
First
we have to start talking. We have to leave the stigma behind. Because
when we start talking, we can help each other. We can support each
other. We put the spotlight on the problem and hold each other
accountable to a quality of life that we can have. We can know we
aren't alone. We aren't crazy. We can have lives filled with
happiness, purpose, and meaning.
But first, we have to find the courage to talk about it.
Kelley I had no idea! Thank you for being so brave and sharing your story. Are you at a better place now? Praying for you, friend!
ReplyDeleteI am at a great place now! I will be writing a second post to this about how I got here! Thanks for your prayers!
DeleteI really appreciate this post. I'm glad we met and it's a shame that we didn't end up in the same city for longer. I'm totally with you here. I remember a time when I was so locked up inside I couldn't open up if I tried. It's so funny, finding out that EVERYONE is human is absolutely the most hopeful thing there is. xo
ReplyDeleteYes, I love what you wrote--finding out that everyone is human is absolutely the most hopeful thing there is. That is so true, it's like to lightens the load somehow to know other people struggle too! I'm so glad you added me on Facebook! What if we had lost contact?? *tear*
DeleteIsn't it crazy to think we are the only "ones". The only ones who feel this sort of pain and loneliness. Till we open our mouths and realize we are in a sea of crazies. Thank god for that :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this! I've contemplated sharing my own bouts. Now maybe I will.
Yes, I think it's so easy to think, "Something must be wrong with me, I'm the only one" which is what these illnesses do! They isolate us from seeking out others and getting the help we need. Write about it, Gina. You won't regret it.
DeleteThank you so much for this post. I can very much relate to all of this.
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading, I hope it helped you or someone you love in some way.
Deletethis is really what i needed to hear right now. i battled with so much anxiety and depression growing up, but my parents just thought i was doing it all for attention. i never even realized that other people could be feeling the way that i did.
ReplyDeleteright now i am struggling with some depression again. i don't know if it's just seasonal depression (that i do often struggle with,) or maybe it's just problems with my IUD (that i will be having removed soon.) or it might be something deeper. all i know is that i have days where i feel trapped in a cave. i can see a bright opening above me, but nothing i do will let me pull myself to the top. it's horrible, because i consider myself a happy, optimistic person. but at times it's like this ugly shadow has it's grasp on me. and it won't let go.
I hate to hear that you are struggling. But I'm glad you said something!! That's exactly what we need to do when we have that ugly shadow over us--reach out, seek help, find support. I do really hate you hear that you are struggling..you are one of my faves. Frank says hi. He misses you. It's boring at my house.
DeleteI'm really proud of you for taking control of your path. This post took a lot of courage and I'm happy you wrote it.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I hope it inspires others to share their struggles and not feel so alone!
DeleteExcellent post, thanks for sharing, glad to see in the comments that you are feeling better these days :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading, Kerry. I am feeling much, much better and I can't wait to write about that part of my journey too. xo
DeleteI applaud you for bringing this up. It's brave, and it's encouraging.
ReplyDeleteI'm dealing with something now and I don't know what it is. I've always had anxiety and slight paranoia especially living in Chicago. But random morbid thoughts go through my head too often. Like last night Nathan said he loved me, and I said it back. And then I went to sit on the porch while he was in the bathroom. And suddenly without reason my brain flashed, and I was sitting on the porch but had been shot and was bleeding to death. What the hell? Obviously stemming from my fear of gun violence in our neighborhood.
But then the weekend before I woke up fine and happy every morning, and by afternoon felt imprisoned. Frozen. Anxious. I know we've been through a lot this past year so I'm taking it slow, and trying to find the calm in it all. But it's nice to be able to talk about it, too.
That kind of sounds like how I was too, Carey. One of the signs of Post-partum anxiety is "intrusive thoughts". I was having random violent thoughts of bad things happening--they would just come out of nowhere and leave me breathless with panic. And like yours of getting shot on your porch, mine were also somewhat unreasonable fears. I'm just getting to a place now where I can clearly think, "No one wants to hurt me." For a long time I felt like almost everyone was a potential rapist or murder--all men--race, age, whatever--didn't matter. My paranoia was equal opportunity. You can always email me if you want to talk about this more--I certainly have more to share!
DeleteI think you must be one of the most awesome people i've ever (not actually) met!! Since having kids i've been so full of irrational fears and just plain hideous thoughts that would just stop me in my tracks and reduce me to tears!! I've been paranoid and feeling like everyone/thing is out to get me or my kids! You're post and these comments are wonderfully reassuring that i'm not alone!! (or completely nuts!!) It's like a light at the end to see that you're trying to work through it and succeeding! Thank you so much!!
ReplyDeleteI am so so so so glad you read my post today. You are not alone!! You can get through this--I'm at a much better place now--maybe even the best I've ever felt, which I know is kind of a lofty statement, but it feels so true!
DeleteYou are so awesome for sharing your story! You are a brave and beautiful woman and I feel blessed to "know" you!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Liv. I don't feel awesome, I just feel tired of acting like it's all roses. Time to get real up in here!
Delete