Saturday, February 5, 2011

Oma Kathy & the Accidental Lie

Dear Brixton,

One of the best parts of being pregnant is getting to tell people.  I tried my best to not spill the beans before 12 weeks, but it was really pretty impossible.  People were shocked, surprised, excited--all of the normal emotions that one would assume for the spreading of good news.  

My mother, however, asked me if I had lied to her and I have it on camera.

It was a valid question.  I had told her we had tried for a baby (once..and that's all it took).  That news alone really feathered her nest.  I was cool as a cucumber though, refusing to believe that anything was going to happen.  In fact, Daddy and I got coldish feet and starting planning a trip or something and started stalling.  When I say stalling, I mean saying things like this:


"Maybe in a year."


"We don't really have any money."


"Our health insurance is horrible."


"We haven't traveled enough.  Let's book a trip to (insert random place)."


Ha!  Too late.  I like to believe God smirked a little when I prayed the next morning that His will be done, but maybe in a year?


Anyway, 2 weeks later I took the pregnancy test.  I got the one you can take early.  As I suspected, it came back negative. I called my mom and told her it was a no-go.  Disappointment from both sides that day on the phone.  I hadn't been expecting that from myself at all.

One week later I noticed a problem.  Let's just say food was going in, but it wasn't going out.  Brendan asked if that was a sign of pregnancy.  Double ha!  Everything is a sign of pregnancy!  To appease him, I agreed to take another pregnancy test.  Confidently, I did my thing.  I remember the whole scene--my hair was wet, Brendan just had gotten on the phone, I left the test in the bathroom and checked the clock on the microwave for the time.  A little voice inside me said, "Sometimes God does funny things."  


Yeah. It was funny.  Funny to find that little stick suddenly said "Positive".  Funny that I wandered out to the living room and told B to get off the phone, stat.  Funny when we took the second test (it was a 3 pack, so I had to use them all up!) and it came back with the same news.  Funny when we hugged and laughed and freaked out and then laughed again.  


Then, I decided that I wouldn't tell my mom until she came for a visit a month later.  That was the hardest secret to keep.  It was always bursting forth, right on the tip of my tongue.  But as we can see by the short little video--it was worth the wait.

I'd like to point out two things here--1. I'm horrible at crying and talking at the same time & 2. Lola is just plain annoying!  



 





3 comments:

  1. Hi Kelley, Brendan and Brixton
    We absolutely love your postings and updates. From this side of the world it is lovely to know what is going on. Having just had Louis again for the weekend we know the joy you are looking forward to by sharing your world with another wee body is so rewarding. Hope you keep well and continue to grow (in a good way).
    Lots of love from the Aucklanders.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kels, your new blog spot is nicely done and I am glad that you are up and writing again. I put a shortcut on our computer so it should be easier to reach you, keep up the good write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing the pics of your place, Kels!!! You've done such a nice job!! More pictures, please---baby bump ones, too! Mom

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!