Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Back in the Old Days...

Dearest Brixton,

This morning I went into a Panera Bread for a little bagel and something warm to drink.  Sitting down, I instantly got out my cell phone just to check Facebook and to see if anything interesting was going on.  A couple a few tables over had set up their cell phone to stream the news live and had it playing pretty much full blast, kind of like they were in their own living room and weren't disturbing anyone else.  

But everyone else, save one table, was too busy on their technology to notice.  An older lady got on her phone and screeched into it in Italian, all the while trying to do that hand-covering-mouth thing (which only works if you don't talk 5x louder than you normally do).  Her newspaper-reading husband didn't seem to notice.  The guy next to me was on his laptop.  Another guy was on his laptop.  Another guy was looking at stuff on his phone, as was the gal with him.  

Life wasn't always like this, Brixton.  Unfortunately you won't grow up knowing any different.  I was about 17 when the change started, when everyone started upgrading their beepers to cell phones, when the internet started growing and email was the newest thing.  

Here are a few things you should know about the old days:

1. When I wanted to talk to friends, they would have to call my house (sometimes even speaking to my parents!!) and if I wanted privacy while speaking, I had to stretch the phone cord as far as it would go (sometimes I even hid under the desk).  When we finally got a cordless phone, it was the coolest thing ever because I could go into my room!  Wow!

2.  Sometimes you wanted to go out to dinner.  That meant you got out a big book, called the Yellow Pages.  You flipped to the "Restaurants" section, found an ad that sounded appealing and gave them a call.  Sometimes they were already out of business.  Then you were back to square one.

3.  People made plans, businesses ran, relationships flourished and all without the use of a cell phone!

4.  Checking messages on the answering machine was a risk if parents were in the room.  

5.  People lost touch with each other.  You could meet someone and then never see them again.  Now we have Facebook.  It's kind of a bummer in some ways. 

6.  When I lived in Germany, I received well over 15 letters a month.  Real letters, written from hand, with paper and ink and special drawings from friends.  If I were to live there now I doubt I would receive anymore than 1 a month, if that.  

7.  Speaking of letter writing, I had pen pals.  Pen pals from Germany.  Pen pals made from acquaintances I met on family camping trips.  Some of them I even visited! Receiving their letters was like receiving a little gift in the mail.

8.  People actually used to drive with both hands! Imagine that!  Maybe they had a cigarette in one hand, but they still managed to pay attention.  

9.  Students in class passed notes.  Well, they still do, but they also answer their phones, text, and take pictures when they aren't supposed to.

10. When you had to sit and wait somewhere, for example the doctor's office, the airport or the bus station, people just sat and waited.  Now you get the pleasure of hearing about so-and-so's recent bout of illness or the details of what happened on the way to the airport that morning. If you're really lucky, someone will put a movie on their laptop for their kids and turn it all the way up.  That way everyone can enjoy their noise and inconsideration.

Really, sometimes I wish I could chuck my cell phone away.  I've had one now for a solid 7 years, with it floating in and out of my life the previous 6.  I remember calling Oma one morning, driving on my way to work.  "Guess what!  I'm driving right now and talking to you! Isn't that cool?"  

*snort*


I have to admit, I love the internet and blogging and email. They have made life amazingly easier.  But we have paid a price too for all of this.  


Like the mother in Colorado who left her 13-month old son alone in the tub while she checked her Facebook page.  She's now serving 10 years in prison and her son drowned.  


Or dealing with people that are texting and driving and crashing and killing people.  Mommy promises never, ever to do that while driving and she made Daddy promise too.  


One day, you'll also have to promise me that Brix and promise me you'll still be a considerate person even in this world of self-centered technology...


Love,


Mommy

 

5 comments:

  1. i really enjoyed reading this. :) i often think about how my boys will never know about 'the good ol' days.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had one of these moments last summer at a concert, and everyone was on their cellphone either Facebooking or taking photos or texting. And I was like, "What happened to holding up your lighter and actually WATCHING the concert you're at?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's amazing how one doesn't even remember how things used to be not that long ago.
    so true.
    our kids will be raised differently just because of it.
    sometimes i hate technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think about things like this all the time. It makes me sad. Technology is a gift and a curse, it helps us and harms us, it makes our lives easier and more complicated.
    Nice post, Kell.
    xo, Hincks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't imagine going back to no email and internet, but really, I could do without a cell phone. Except I'm addicted now..

    Hincks--We lived in such simple times! Like driving your mom's Camry forward and reverse 10 feet when we were 14 and wow, we thought that was cool!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!