Saturday, April 9, 2011

My Hospital Visit

It all started yesterday morning.  

I felt tired and draggy.  Really tired.  I got off work early, only having to be there until 11:30, so I decided to run some errands that needed to be done.

Around 1 pm, the lower back cramps started.  And the lower pelvis cramps.  And the Braxton-Hicks.  I've always gotten BH, starting at 14 weeks, so that wasn't concerning.

I kept running my errands, but was quickly running out of steam.  I ate lunch at Whole Foods then waddled through the aisles.  Usually when I'm at WF, shopping is a pleasure (and a treat because I can't afford to shop there regularly).  Yesterday I didn't really care and just rushed through. 

At 4:22 I was home and took a nap, hoping I'd feel better.  And I'd been chugging water.  6 came, and I still felt the same-not worse-just the same.  I laid in bed and read.  At 6:45 I decided I needed to track my BH for an hour, because they were just coming and coming.  So I did. 

At 7:45, I counted them.  11.  11 in an hour.  It was time to call the doctor.  He said, "That's a lot of BH to have in an hour.  We don't want your baby coming yet.  I think we need to get you in to the hospital and see what's going on." 

The part I really latched onto was: We don't want your baby coming yet.

I got a little freaked out at that.  But then I realized I had a MILLION things to do.  I rushed around the house, taking a shower, packing a few things into my purse, making arrangements for Lola (since I didn't know what was going to happen and I could have been in there overnight or longer), calling Brendan who was out of town.  

I had never been to the hospital before, so I had to print the directions out.  Luckily, the 35 minute drive went fast and I still wasn't feeling worse, just the same.  It was a slow night at the hospital, but that didn't prevent the lobby of 8-10 people from all staring at me when I came in and was placed promptly in a wheelchair.  The older women had a "knowing" look.  The young bucks sitting in there just stared.  I tried making a joke about being that pregnant lady in the lobby and luckily everyone laughed and realized I wasn't going to be shooting a kid out right then and there.


We got to a room (the unit was so quiet)and I changed into a cute little gown (ok, not cute) and had all the vitals done.  They hooked me up to the machines and baby's heartbeat was fine and boy, was he moving around!  Sure enough, I was having contractions, but the exam showed (thankfully) that the oven door was still completely closed and the baby was still baking.  I was really, really glad to hear that.


They shoved a needle into my arm, but that didn't take.  Then they went for my hand.  Apparently I have really good veins and that  made me proud.  I think that's the only situation where having bony hands and protruding veins in a good thing.  I laid in the bed for an hour and a half while the saline solution watered me.  At no point did they say what was wrong or causing the BH, but at least I know Brix is ok and not trying to get out. 

I was kind of glad it happened because it was like a hospital tour and pre-registration all in one.  I also know now what a room I'll be delivering in will look like, as well as how it feels to get a needle put in to my limbs and then the exam part.  So, while I am exhausted today, I am better prepared.  


 

5 comments:

  1. oh boy that is scary! glad he's still baking.
    i had intense bh a couple of times for long periods. once i took a warm bath they subsided though. worth a shot next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad everything is okay! It'll be neat now though cause you will be able to picture yourself in that very hospital, which I know I really liked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're doing better, Kelley! I'm sure it was nice to hear his heartbeat (again) and know he's ok. I love your blog, by the way! I've been reading here and there when it pops up on Facebook. - Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, that is scary. glad everything is ok. Brendan must have been flipping out since he was out of town.
    start taking it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone~it was scary, but also informative! (Guess I'm just making lemonade out of lemons!) And yes, Brendan was pretty freaked out!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!