One thing I never knew about having a baby was the crying.
Me, not him.
Don't worry, I swear I don't have post-partum or anything. I take that really seriously, but I promise I'm feeling good, getting enough rest and not feeling down.
The first week was a sob fest. I'd just sit and hold him and cry. I'd cry for the experience I had just gone through, for seeing him finally in my arms where I'd dreamed he would be for so long. I'd cry for his tiny mouth, his duckling hair and his perfectly formed ears. I'd cry for the amount of love I felt for him and for the future we'd share together.
This was a good week. This kind of crying I find lovely, cathartic and cleansing.
Week two got a little morbid.
Brixton and I were outside on the grass, getting some sun time. He was cuddled into me and like usual, I was just staring at him and brimming with love (seriously, if you need to gag or retch at all during this post, I totally won't be offended). Then I started thinking about losing him. How awful that would be, how I don't know how I'd recover. Then I started thinking of all the women throughout the history of time who had lost a baby or a child and how they coped with it, the intense feelings of helplessness, permanence, and emptiness of death.
Then I started thinking about the Holocaust.
How women held their babies close but could do nothing for them. Women seeing horrible things happening to their own children. I started recalling stories of things the Nazis did to children and babies. I won't write here some of those things, since wow, they were awful and not deserving of more airtime, but let's just say I went there in my mind. It was me on the train, it was me in the line to the gas chamber, it was Kelley's Choice, not Sophie's.
And how I cried that day in the sun. I cried and I cried and I cried. I cried for all of them in a way I had never before. I cried for the brand new mothers and the veterans. I cried for the babies. I cried for the toddlers. And I held Brixton so close to me.
That day kind of worried me. Because I then went through a few days of fear. "What if?" I read about senseless deaths of young men and instantly thought of their mothers. I worried about tree branches falling on us during a walk down the street. Agoraphobia entered my mind.
A few days later I realized I had to leave those thoughts behind in order to move forward. I had to trust God. I had to say goodbye to those women on the boxcars and hiding in attics. I couldn't stay with them in their grief.
Now we are in week three. I haven't cried much, but I did last night. 4 am. Holding a very wide awake little boy, I realized I was holding a man. A man who has so much to learn. A man who will one day have to make hard choices. A man who will always call me mother. I cried. I cried for all of it. Most of all I cried because I never wanted children before and look what I almost missed.
Do you cry? Will this ever stop? Should it?
once you become a mother, you never stop crying. this doesn't mean you'll be emotional 24/7, but you will find yourself in situations where your emotions get the best of you and you'll cry.
ReplyDeletetake for instance, there is a song on yo gabba gabba that i can't watch without tearing up, because it reminds me of when gage was 10 months old and really infatuated with balloons.
but yeah, the worry stuff? it never ends. brace yourself.
Your posts are the best. You seriously do post stuff that is very relevant to me and I suspect other recent mothers, mothers-to-be, etc. Your next to last line really hit home---about not wanting kids before.....that's me, in a nutshell. Yet, last summer, I started thinking about wanting to start a family. I did not make that choice lightly----months and months of reading, thinking, and feeling went into it. We decided to begin trying in February, and now I am 10 weeks pregnant. I have doubts all the time now and wonder if you did too. I wonder if I made the right choice----do I really want a baby and all that comes with it? Do i really want a child---because they don't stay babies forever. Sigh. I would never go back and change my decision, but I worry all the time about whether this is the right thing to do, after all......
ReplyDelete@Rebekah~You made the right choice. I'm sure of it. I really didn't want kids, but I'm so glad I'm going through this experience. When I look at Brix, I see a life full of possibilities that lie beyond myself and a new role for me to take on: mother. Daunting? Yes. But I believe that we are only given things in life that we are capable of handling...you're gonna do great!!
ReplyDeleteI'm not yet a mother, but can understand that semi-catastrophic thinking and how it can become all-encompassing. So much love to you and your little fella.
ReplyDeleteoh yeah!! giving birth made me the biggest softie ever. i used to laugh at people who cried during commercials, and now i'm one of those people.
ReplyDeletealso, post partum is totally normal. if you are a woman and gave birth, you will go through post partum, it's what it is. there are of course many different levels of post partum but, all moms go through it. it's the adjustment of hormones.
I cried for the entire first month at least once a day. I don't cry as often now, but I'm getting close to the end of maternity leave and I cried yesterday as I was filling out the daycare forms. Leave my baby alone with a stranger? What if there's an earthquake? What is she doesn't remember me if she doesn't see me 24/7? OK, I'm tearing up again just thinking about it.
ReplyDeleteyour post reminded me of this:
ReplyDeletehttp://lilmuselily.com/2010/03/02/a-little-bit-of-postpartum-but-a-whole-lot-of-hope/