Friday, May 13, 2011

Pumping

First off, I want to say that I know what an incredibly controversial and personal subject breast-feeding/bottle-feeding is.  The opinions and feelings in this post are my own, I am not saying they are for everyone or really anyone but me.  

But it's my blog and I'll write what I want to so niener niener.

:-)

I'm not breast-feeding, but I am pumping.  Why?  Frankly, I just didn't feel like breast feeding was for me.  I felt uncomfortable with the idea of it (specifically with a baby drinking from my boob-even if it was my baby), the time, the pressure of being the food source and also the fact I couldn't measure how much baby was getting (I like to know things like that).  

So those are my reasons.  Maybe selfish, but I chose pumping as a way to still provide Brixton with breastmilk, since I think we can all agree that breastmilk is best.  He drinks formula as well, but I have been able to provide him with breastmilk at 90% of his meals as well as colostrum in the first days of his life.

If I had forced myself to breastfeed, that's how it would have felt to me-forced.  And I don't think that's the kind of positive experience people go for when they chose to do it.  I also may have been much more likely to say "forget it" and stop altogether.

All this being said, I love pumping.  I know people may say "but then you have to wash all the stuff, the baby's not bonding with you, it's also a time commitment, etc."  And you're right (except for the bonding part, which is just silly).  But it's working for me.  I love seeing how much I can get, which boob is going to be the star producer of the day and having those 10-15 minutes just for me to sit down and space out. Plus, it's wildly satisfying to see Brixton drink it!  It's his favorite!  And it never makes him spit up or gassy.  

I just want to encourage those of you who, like me, are hesitant about going full breast, but also would like to provide their baby with breastmilk.  

I think the lactation consultant at the hospital said it best:

  "If people ask you why you are pumping and not breastfeeding, just tell them it's none of their business."  

And she's right, it's not.  But whether we are breastfeeding, pumping, or formula feeding, the important thing is that we are all feeding in a way that feels comfortable and sustainable for us (as mothers and fathers) and allows our babies to thrive.  

 

14 comments:

  1. i think what you're doing is great! i don't see why it should matter to anyone how YOUR baby is getting YOUR milk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to comment here, in a good way. For the longest time, I've been uncomfortable with the concept of breastfeeding. Yes, I know its the best thing for the baby, but I have always just been unfortable with the idea, and I can't figure out why. Your plan to pump, but not breastfeed is a solution that I had never thought of. Now that you've raised the issue, I feel so much better about the whole thing---and this may be what I choose to do. It would be great if you posted a follow-up at some point down the road ( I am only 8 weeks preggers, so I have plenty of time to explore this topic more!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebekah~

    When writing this post, I also thought, maybe one person will connect with this..maybe it's you! And great idea about writing a follow up..I will do that.

    Good luck with your pregnancy..it's all worth it in the end!

    Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Das hört sich doch nach einem wunderbaren Kompromiss an. Ich denke auch, jeder soll das tun, was er am besten findet. Ich hatte leider keinen richtigen Plan wie ich meine Zwillinge füttern wollte. Im Krankenhaus war eine schreckliche Krankenschwester, die mir am Morgen nach dem Kaisenschnitt eine riesige elektrische Milchpumpe auf den Tisch stellte und sagte: "Sehen Sie zu, dass Ihre Frühchen etwas zum trinken bekommen!" Ich war so geschockt, dass mir immer noch Tränen kommen, wenn ich nur daran denke. Keine Anleitung, kein nettes Wort, nur Druck (das letzte können die Deutschen besonders gut...)
    Irgendwie habe ich ein paar Tropfen rausgepresst bekommen und war stolz, dann kam die Krankenschwester und meinte: "Wegen 2 ml werde ich bestimmt nicht zu ihren Babys laufen". Ich war so deprimiert, wie man dort behandelt wurde. Auf der Frühchenstation waren die Schwestern auch geschockt, als ich das erzählte. Sie meinten, dass jedes Tröpfen Muttermilch kostbar für die Frühchen-Babys ist und meine Babys nicht verhungern würden, selbst wenn ich keine Muttermilch pumpen würde.
    Es klappte alles irgenwann mal, aber letztendlich habe ich das mit dem Pumpen nur 4 Wochen ausgehalten. Ich denke aber trotzdem, dass es die wichtigsten Wochen waren und somit war das besser als nichts. Tut mir Leid, dass ich Dir so eine traurige Geschichte erzählen musste :-(
    Viel Erfolg mit dem Pumpen und noch mal alles Gute!

    Liebe Grüße,
    Elina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelley, before Lily was born, i told myself "i will breast feed for 3 months, that's it". Lily was born and before I knew it, 12 months had gone by and she weaned herself off naturally. i think it was harder on me than on her.
    i respect your personal decision but i do think/feel that you are missing on a huge mothering bonding experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Claudia~
    Maybe I am, but I will never know it any other way. Brendan loves it because it gives him a chance to bond with Brix too in a way he couldn't if I were only breastfeeding. In any case, he's thriving and I'm happy!

    Elina~
    Das ist so eine schreckliche Geschichte..aber es hoert sich gleichzeitig sehr deutsch an! Du hast recht--ein Bisschen ist bestimmt besser als nichts, sogar wenn es nur fuer einen Tag ist! Ich weiss nicht wie es ist dort in D-Land, aber hier gibt es so viel Druck nur Muttermilch zu geben. Leute glauben, dass wenn du es nicht machst, dann dein Baby wird dich nicht lieben oder so einen Quatsch. Ich musste machen, was fuer mich bequem war...sonst geht es nicht!

    **Will ich auch sagen, dass ich so froh bin, dass wir hier mit einander reden kann! Vor 15 Jahren waren wir 2 unschuldige junge Maedchen..und jetzt--Muttern! Unglaublich!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelley, ich finde es auch wunderbar, dass wir nach so einer langen Zeit immer noch (oder vielleicht doch besser gesagt schon wieder)hier reden können. Ich lese sehr gerne Deinen Blog und das gibt mir das Gefühl als ob Du doch nicht so weit entfernt wärest! Unglaublich wir sind jetzt Mamas.

    Elina

    PS Deine Übersetzung war übrigens super. Soll ich Dir deutsche Schlaflieder zuschicken? Generell hätte ich gerne Deine aktuelle Adresse ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also hope you will do a follow up post on the pumping. I am fascinated by your decision that you are okay with a machine taking milk from your body but not your baby. I hope your plan to pump works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous-

    I loved your comment! I know it totally is weird that I would be okay with that! Your comment gave me a chuckle. And I will do a follow up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're awesome for doing what works for you and not caring about what other people think. That's none of their dang business, but I'm thankful for you sharing and showing your perspective on it all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been reading your blog for a while and really enjoy your whit. I think that your decision to feed your baby with YOUR milk is the best choice. (it even says so on the formula bottles). I don't think it matters at all how the milk gets to the babies mouth. I have been reading the ingredients on the powder formula and it is a little shocking. I read the labels on my food so I figure reading the labels on my babies food is just as important. So I found that the powdered stuff has some WEIRD ingredients....like the #2 ingredient in a lot of brands is VEGETABLE OIL!!! GROSS!! Just a tip, read the labels. :o) Look forward to reading more. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just stumbled across your blog (loving it btw) and had to comment on this post. I also just had my first baby about six weeks before your son was born. I felt the exact same way about breast feeding and I also chose to exclusively pump and bottle feed when necessary in the beginning. It can be very time consuming, but worth it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. KG~Thanks for reading! Glad to meet a fellow pumper--someone else who is making it work for them. :-)

    -Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait to read your follow up blog. At 3 months old I just recently stopped pumping and started blogging :) www.bobandbaby.blogspot.com

    Happy Pumping!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!