Monday, September 19, 2011

One More Day

My husband left me 9 days ago for someone else.  Someone glitzy and glam, a hard partier, an "up all night" kind of gal.

Her name is Las Vegas.

He had to go there for some bike convention and then met up with some buddies from San Diego for a man mountain-biking adventure.  Brix and I have been all alone (insert sad face).  Granted, I was supposed to be at my parent's house right now with Brix, but opted to wait until Thanksgiving to go, so we could all be together.  It's been a good 9 days, days 5-6 were a little rough, and yesterday was possibly the longest day ever, but overall not bad.  Brixton slept through the night 2 times and is impressing me with his raspberry-blowing skills and ability to always kick me square in the boobs when I have him propped on my legs.

I didn't eat dinner the first 6 days or so, some days literally only getting in one meal.  I didn't have time really to make dinner and frankly, I was exhausted by the time little Buggy was in bed.  On the plus side, I think I lost another pound!  Woot!  

There was one husband fail though. It was in the evening.  I was tired, hungry and looking forward to bedtime for Brixton.  Brendan called.  "What's the name of that (fabulous, delicious) tapas restaurant we went to here?"  I told him the name.  "Okay, thanks. Talk later!" Click. I looked sullenly at my dinner choices of oatmeal and Malt O'Meal and decided to go to bed with a stomach full of annoyance instead.

Brendan promised me a special gift when he came back to make up for all of this alone time.  The only caveat was it couldn't be a purse.  He learned that the hard way back in '07 when a similar "special gift" was mentioned and I hit the purse section at Nordy's.  This time he asked me if I wanted a spa day--massage, facial, nails.  I said no.  "I want a stick blender and maybe a nice skillet." 

Oh motherhood.

I know maybe you're supposed to wait to get special gifts, but I had my Bed, Bath & Beyond 20% off coupon burning a hole in my wallet, so Brix and I made a special stop there today and picked up our stick blender.  Which meant of course I had to try it out once we got home.  In the past few weeks I've been making baby food.  Before I go into this, I just want to put it out there that I know I'm not reinventing the wheel by making baby food, nor am I trying to be like "Ooooh, I make my own baby food" or anything else that might make other mamas feel bad or less-than or anything.  Nope.  The fact is, I looked at the cost of the jarred stuff, 99 cents for the organic jars of whatever, did some simple math and decided I can make it myself.  It's simple. And I'm cheap.  So this really works out.  Steam some veggies or fruit, add water, blend and freeze.  Big whoop.  

So far I've done beets, corn, carrots, bananas, apples and nectarines.  I'm not sure about the nectarines.  They were a little weird.  The stick blender is AWESOME!  It has an attachment that I can use pretty much like a food processor.   Anyone have other suggestions about good veggies/fruits to make?

We started (ok, I started) cereal with Brix, but I've decided to stop.  He's clearly not ready and in all honesty, he wasn't ready and I knew itI wanted him to start.  When he's ready, we'll know.  He'll be curious.  He'll try grabbing our forks or spoons as we eat.  He'll watch us eat.  I just wanted to see him enjoy food, but he wasn't enjoying it.  He was shaking his head from side to side to avoid the spoon, getting fussy, pushing his tongue out.  Food is one of the greatest pleasures in life and I want him to enjoy it, not have it literally forced down his throat. Soon enough.  Soon enough.  












3 comments:

  1. A stick blender! It's so funny how our wants of gifts changes with time. I have a regular ole blender and food processor do you think those will work just fine? I want to make Eleanor's food, too because it is so much cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, you are good to go! I was using my blender, but it just wasn't working as well. The food processor will do the best I think..it IS so much cheaper. Plus, I don't have to have all those empty jars to deal with..

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha....part of my birthday gift this year was an onion chopper. we love onions around here, but i hate to cut them. at least i use my gift. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!