Like a set of parenthesis on our summer, we went to Madison again this holiday weekend, much like how we did for Memorial Day weekend.
We had a great time!
We drove up Saturday, arrived just in time for a steady rain to start falling, which ruined our dreams of strolling around the capital square. Instead we hunkered down in an adorable kid's toy/clothing shop, hoping for a break in the storm or an umbrella. No dice. So we dashed back to the car and looked at houses instead (you know, just looking). Good thing I wore my rainboots..or was it? (I'll get back to the rainboots in a sec).
We met with some old/new friends for dinner, Middle Eastern food, and Brixton was quite a little gentleman. Again, the rain spoiled any ideas of strolling around and continuing our chat, but still it was a good night.
Back at the hotel, Brixton entertained himself for a few hours by screaming in delight at the sound of his own voice and kicking his legs like a maniac. Seriously, hours. Luckily we had said hello to our next door neighbors and the woman was one of ten children, so she said any baby cries wouldn't bother her (her stoic husband didn't seem quite so accommodating..).
Night time was a snap, thankfully (I've seriously been desperate for Brix to sleep through the night lately..even considering cereal..thoughts?) and the next morning Brix and I cuddled, watched the news, watched a church service and drank the biggest coffee ever. Brendan went on a bike ride with some buddies. Then we hit up the Taste of Madison where we feasted on brats, cheese curds, decadent chocolate ice-cream, deep-fried pickles and wings. Did I mention I'm trying to lose my baby weight and lost 3 lbs in the past 2 weeks? Yeah, pretty sure those are back..
We then spent the rest of the day driving around, trying to check out neighborhoods and keeping Brix happy in the car. He alternated between fussin', sleepin' and making sweet coos, so it all worked out..
I can tell you I'm not going to a restaurant with Brixton again for a while. We walked to Essen Haus (German food) a few blocks from our hotel. First of all, I always forget how ridiculously overpriced German food always is, and this place was no different. Dishes were about $17 each which is like "special occasion" pricing for us...then Brixton started up right away (I swear once the smell of hot food hits his nose, it starts a chain reaction of back-arching, fussing, crying and then the baby howl.)
At one point while being held, Brixton did that baby arch thing (you know the one, where they fling themselves around like a fish, moving all of a sudden at 100 mph) and bonked his head on a beer glass, creating a stomach-sinking "THUD", the obligatory five second delay that lets you know you better get outside before the screaming starts, then the horrible guilt and aftermath that follow. Dinner. Was. Ruined. As we walked out with our overpriced sausages, red cabbage and sauerkraut (also with a look of sympathy and disgust that can only be delivered by a college-aged waitress), I was overcome with mother fear and had to look up the symptoms of baby concussions. Luckily, everyone was ok, but the red cabbage wasn't very good.
Ok, back to the rainboots. They were the only shoes I took with me on our jaunt. They are boots, yes, they are meant for rain, but it that the ONLY time you can wear them? They got A LOT of looks. Looks from women, and you know what I mean. It happened so many times that a woman would see my boots, turn to her husband and say something, then they both would look. I haven't been stared at like this in years! At one point a man was blatantly staring at Brendan and I, so much so he was turning in a full circle and then he pointed us out to his friends. I haven't the slightest clue why. My fly was shut. I checked. Maybe staring is a pastime in Wisconsin?
Here are some pics from our trip:
Ugh..and I was a total mother FAIL too..didn't bring a blanket or a sweatshirt for my little guy..and Fall is here people! It was chilly today too..at least I remembered his formula this time..







What color are your boots? If they're bright, people might've been staring because they're like "OOOH, I WANT THOSE."
ReplyDeleteWhen we go to restaurants now, Alexa is quiet as a lamb until we get our food. Then she starts reaching out to our plates. She gets really pissy if we don't give her some of our grub. So now there's something else to think about when I order my food. Sigh! It's like having a dog beg for scraps. Did I just compare my sweet little baby to a dog? I meant it in the cutest way possible.
once i sent gage out in the snow without gloves. we took a picture, and you can see just how pissed off he is. it's great. :) parenting fail moments can be pretty funny. :)
ReplyDeleteLGP~ They are just..gray..not all that interesting. I guess I broke a social rule or something!! Ha! They should see all the LA chicks wearing Uggs in our 65 degree winters (with shorts of course)!
ReplyDeleteDeanna~Ha ha ha!!!! That must have been fun for all!
Thats odd about the rain boots, I live in Green Bay and I see people all the tie wearing them!
ReplyDelete