Pump for Sale.
I tried to keep going. I drank the Mother's Milk tea and took the Fenugreek drops. But the real way to increase milk is to pump more. And friends, I just couldn't do it. I reached my first goal (to pump for 3 months), kept going and am calling it. I realized I was really done the other day when I sat down to pump with Brixton squirming next to me. I had the worst attitude about it. That was it. It was just becoming a negative experience with very little reward. And while having a milk machine suckling at your breast is certainly not the same as a cozy infant, I want to remember our good memories nonetheless.
We are now using the frozen milk stash, which I was able to increase slightly. I'm not feeling sad anymore about it. Brixton's eating solids now (kind of like a champ/wild animal) and seems to actually prefer his cereal made with formula (I know! Weird.) I am actually kind of relieved if you want to know the truth and excited about not having to worry about it. I am very grateful that I was able to go for so long and surprised that I stuck it out as long as I did.
And while I will no doubt be filled with sadness and sentimental feelings watching him drink that last mother's milk bottle that is coming in the next week or so, I am satisfied that he had it at all. He's healthy, happy and huge.
Thanks, boobs. I'll never look at you the same way again. (And either will Brendan).
**A sincere apology to my 90-year-old Grandpa and my Father for having to read this post.**
I had a hate-hate relationship with my pump. We didn't make it very far. I've been trying to come up with a decent blog post about it for awhile now, but I have bitter memories about my whole experience mostly because there are so many breastfeeding nazis out there who imply that your baby will wind up with horns on his head if you feed formula.
ReplyDeleteAnyway.
I'm glad you are level-headed about it, and in a few months you won't even be able to believe you pumped as long as you did! No leaking boobies? AMAZING.
You go girl! Pumping is a HUGE commitment and you reached your goal. :) You should be proud.
ReplyDeleteI've been thinking about writing about my adventures with the pump, too. I am pumping up to 6 times a day on top of nursing Eleanor in the evening and night just to keep up with her (and not go too deep in to the freezer stash). It's annoying a lot (especially at work or at night when I just don't wanna), and takes up a lot of time as well. Precious time. We shall see what happens. :/
Just stopping by from Delirious Rhapsody.
ReplyDeleteI can so relate to this. I exclusively pumped for almost four months and eventually I just couldn't stand it anymore. That and my supply started to drop.
Sounds like you have a happy little man :)
Hey! That's a top effort! I must confess though i'm a bit confused at the amount of people that pump and b/feed, is it just to increase milk supply? Or to get a stash for the freezer so mum can go back to work?? I feel completely ignorant here!lol!
ReplyDeleteyou did AMAZING! i hated pumping, so the fact that you hung in so long is awesome! :)
ReplyDeleteYou are amazing!! Pumping is no easy feat and you should be so proud of how long you stuck with it. Mad props to you Mama!!
ReplyDelete