Monday, February 6, 2012

Monkey Paw

Brixton's pincher grip is getting pretty good nowadays, but he still does the whole-hand grab approach often.  He's developed a mean case of Monkey Paw.  

What's Monkey Paw you ask?  What an excellent question.  Let me tell you.

Monkey Paw is when a child grabs onto a piece of food with their hand and then they close said hand up tight, like a clam.  They don't ever actually eat the food or use the hand again.  The food just sits in there, much like how a monkey will reach into a small opening in a bucket and grab food, then realizing it can't get its hand out of the hole, still won't let go of the food, because it's a monkey and not too bright.  

Monkey Paw.



Brixton sometimes begins his breakfast with the old standby: Cheerios.  He'll happily eat them for five minutes or so before moving on to cereal or yogurt or waffles or whatever his excellent personal chef decides to pull together for him. Monkey Paw is noticed at the end of the meal, when a random Cheerio (not having been given to him since the beginning of the feeding period) falls from his immobile left paw..uh..hand.  



Sometimes, during the cleaning up phase of the meal, I have to excavate random food bits from his hand, much to his displeasure.  If there's one thing this kid hates, it's having his face and hands wiped down.  He would rather spend the day with carrots smeared all over his mug than have Mr. Happy Washcloth come by and give him a quick smooch that just so happens to wipe his face.



Monkey Paw makes me a little nervous, just because I'm afraid I'll miss something and he'll end up eating it when I'm not looking and invariably, choke.  

We've been teaching him all about High-Fives lately, so that cuts down on M.P. since one needs all five with a palm for a true High-Five.  


Do you ever do a post and you're not sure how to wrap it up?  I'm there.







4 comments:

  1. Oh, yes. I'm very familiar with this stage. We've just moved on to monkey mouth--where we instead just hoard food in a little pocket of our mouth sucking tightly so that even after clean up its unnoticeable that the "snack for later" has been hoarded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh...can't wait for that next stage! Ha ha! Brixton squirreled away a piece of paper in his mouth today..took me about 5 minutes to find it in there!

      Delete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!