Brendan has been gone for 6 days. 6 long days spent wrangling a somewhat fussy babe and trying in vain to organize and decorate our home. And run errands. And shower. And eat. He comes home tonight, so I'm a whirling dervish, wanting the house to look different (i.e., better) than when he left! I got a call from him earlier that he's sick, with a "churning stomach, runny nose and a raspy throat." Poor guy. All that and he still has a 5 hour drive to get to us.
The house is coming along. I'd say I still need another month to have things "just so." The piles of stuff are smaller and smaller, the wall decorations finding new homes, the items no longer wanted are bound for the donation box. Little by little it's becoming home.
My parents are coming out for 9 glorious days in May. Like two angels floating out of the sky, their arrival will be the start of what will be 9 days of fun, sun, 4 extra hands, 2 extra laps and new memories to be made. I can't wait!
Chicago is fun. City life is fun. The people here, in the city, are so friendly. People say hi on the streets. People smile. Drivers are polite (for city driving). I haven't been flipped off (yet). There are so many moms and babies. So many cool things to do with little ones. People with dogs. Parks.
And it's been so warm. Freakishly warm. 85 degrees. It's March, yet all the trees have little pea-green leaves shooting out, the flowers have pushed up the covers of their winter slumber. Limbs, frighteningly pale, are peeking out from shorts and skirts, dresses and tank tops. Yet, somehow, I don't trust it. I still am waiting for that freak storm that blows in and sends us all back into our closets, pulling out our heavy jackets. Wrapping those scarves another layer thicker around our necks.
Brixton's talking. Not just dada, mama stuff. He says "banana" with the understanding of what a banana is. He says "dog", too, with the same understanding. I made him say banana about thirty times today. Partly because it was so cute, but mostly because I couldn't believe it.
I'm constantly toying with the idea of chopping my hair off. Short hair is so cute and easy. It's just that growing hair out is such a long journey, one I've personally been on for the past 3.5 years since The Last Big Chop, and this is the longest my hair has ever been. So I'd be crazy to quit now. Plus, it doesn't get any easier than a pony tail right??
God you make me miss it so! Spring was my favorite time in Chicago. I loved lifting off that heavy blanket of dark and cold to discover people still existed and life popping up everywhere. So happy that you and family are transitioning well. Xoxo
ReplyDeleteOh! I don't want to make you homesick! We are really enjoying it though. People are very friendly and there is so much to do and explore!
DeleteSo glad to hear yall are settling in so well! Moving with a little one is never easy, just do what you can and the rest will find its way unpacked eventually!
ReplyDeleteI've reached the stage where everything is out of boxes so at least there's that! Now it's time to find a "home" for everything! Takes forever!
DeleteIt's hit or miss with Brix, sometimes he wants to perform, other times I think I'm crazy and that he wasn't really speaking to begin with.
ReplyDeleteHow are things!? Did you have a good homecoming!?
ReplyDeleteThings are good..still getting it all together, but taking it day by day!
Delete