Saturday, March 10, 2012

Mommy Groups

One of the best parts of living in the city now is meeting other moms and making friends.  I've signed myself up for about 6 meetup groups, all in the hopes of making some good connections and giving Brixton a chance to see that other children use their arms and legs to propel themselves across rooms. You know, learning from others and all that.

I went to my first mommy group yesterday.  Mommy groups are kind of weird.  A bunch of strangers, sitting around in a room, watching/ignoring our kids and talking about random things, like birth stories and hemorrhoids.  I guess it's only weird at first until you get to know each other. 

All was well.  Then it started sounding like one of the "Stuff _____________ Say" videos.  This one would have been called Stuff Mommy Group Members Say.  "Who's your doula?"  "What did your midwife say?"  "Did you try acupuncture for that?"  "Is it organic?"  At one point my coffee almost shot out of my nose as I tried to stifle inner-laughter. 

Then I put my coffee down on a table.  I'm no beginner around kids, so I placed it in a respectable distance from the edge.  Well, this little boy apparently had the wing span of an eagle, because I heard splash, mother gasps, and the soft cries of a coffee drenched kid.  Luckily, I'd been there a while and the coffee was lukewarm at most.  For a second, I didn't realize it was my coffee.  Mommy-brain and all.  Then, it became clear.  I apologized a few times, since obviously in an adult vs. kid coffee spilling scenario, the adult is actually always to blame.  The kid spent the rest of the playgroup topless, his fat stomach protruding out, his nipples looking at me, saying  "Hey Coffee Lady.  Now no one here is gonna be your friend."

Also not a good thing to do when just meeting people you don't know: bashing Republicans.  How do you know I'm not one?  How do you know my entire family isn't?  What an assumption.  Like only young-ish, educated, and very good looking mothers can't be Republicans.  Be the tolerance you preach.  I'm printing that on a shirt and wearing it to our next meetup next week. Get yours HERE.  Just kidding.  I wouldn't actually link that.  xo


10 comments:

  1. this had my laughing! oh, you would be perfect for our little play group. speaking of which, we have a play date monday! join us!!
    http://www.facebook.com/events/339136142790055/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to go Monday, but saw you guys changed it to Tuesday so we can't come..BUT..hopefully soon!

      Delete
  2. I actually had a mommy group nightmare last night....you got me laughing and now I'm really having second thoughts about trying a group when Axel returns to work in two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No no no..you should totally go again, although I'm dying to know what the nightmare was!! If nothing else it's adult interaction and some funny inspiration!

      Delete
  3. i've never been to a mommy group before. honestly (for myself) i can't imagine having too much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just hoping that I can find some cool moms to hang out with. It's going to take a while I think, but it's fun, even talking birth stories and such. I just thought it was funny how "typical" it was.

      Delete
  4. I've never been to a mommy group but I've been around the moms at dance class and Belle's school. It always trips me out how women behave around in each other in those situations: the competitiveness, the comparisons. It's something I'll just never understand. Why can't we all just chill out and admit we are all just barely treading water, doing the best we can, figuring it out as we go?!! Someone really should create one of those videos for moms!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't encountered too much of the competitiveness yet, or maybe I did. I honestly don't pay attention to that stuff.

      Delete
  5. I love this. As a nanny I have a similar, yet different prospective of these mommies. They are pretty cool to me when they think I am the mom, but the minute the kids refer to me as anyone other than Mamma..well then things get weird. It's not like I am trying to be the kid's fake mom (hello creepy), but I just don't like going into the details of everything. Because then the moms get weird with me. And a bit judgey. Like I am not one of them, and if I don't center my every minute of attention on the kids then I am a terrible person. But it's totally OK if they let their eight year old jump on top of the playhouse and jump off it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that too when nannying. It was like suddenly I was 'the help' and not to be talked with. Like I was stupid or something. Weird.!!

      Delete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!