Thursday, October 25, 2012

Little Boy Lost





It got really quiet in his room the other day.

I was in our room, just next door packing boxes.  Brixton plays alone often in his room; he's always been very good at entertaining himself for a little while.  He was making the rounds: books, ball-popper, puzzles, giant teddy bear.  

I was packing, wondering when this packing hell would be over.  Then I heard The Quiet.  It's like that isn't it?  You hear what isn't there, because you know what should be there.  Noise.  A sigh.  Toys clattering.  Pages flipping.

All I heard was silence.

I peeked into this room.  His baby gate was still shut, and anyway I would have heard that at least if he'd escaped.  But his room was empty.  No Brixton at the rocking chair.  No Brixton at his bookshelf.  

Just no Brixton.

I didn't panic, but I was confused.  What...??

Then a foot appeared.  And a hand.  A face peered out at me, with a contraband paci tucked firmly in place.  


I guess someone has discovered the joy that is a magical fort.  He came out from under there with about 5 pacis so maybe it was more of a recovery mission for him. 

A sign of things to come?

 

10 comments:

  1. owsley likes to run upstairs and hide in gage's room (in the dark) on his bed, amid the hundreds of stuffed animals. he will sit there in silence, even if i call for him. this has become the first place i look whenever i don't hear him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's almost kind of creepy. I can picture him just sitting there.

      Delete
  2. Omg, that is so freakin' cute! So lucky u got a picture of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad I can barely figure out this lens! The picture is all out of proper focus, but you get the idea!

      Delete
  3. Ahhhh, that is a really sweet sight! Brings back childhood memories of making a cubby under the bed. There is nothing quite like 'that' silence though - I always think my toddler is up to no good when I hear it, although sometimes he's just reading a book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I'm like, What are you doing in there? And he's reading.

      Delete
  4. Seriously adorable. I came all the way out of my Google Reader hiding space just to say that. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!