Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Christmas Trees Are Overrated


We put our tree up.  I'll apologize now for the pictures of me sans makeup and in my full pajama glory.  I love my new pjs though.  Thanks, Target.  Except the sleeves shrunk so they are like 3/4 sleeves.  Now my wrists are always cold.  

We opted not to go to the Christmas tree farm this year.  As evidenced by Brixton's blase reaction to other holiday events such as the German Christmas market, our church's holiday night (where he had a red-alert tantrum after his turn on the toy train was over), and the Christmas Walk, we decided just to pick up a tree at Home Depot.  

It took us about 3 minutes to find the tree.  We knew what to avoid, based on last year's needle fiasco. (Also click HERE for my crazy needle disaster).  The tree was huge.  So huge we actually had to cut the top off.  That's what happens when you think you have 10' ceilings and they are really 8'.  

Trees are fun for kids.  Fun to hit.  Fun to pull.  Fun to investigate the water basin. Fun to take the ornaments off and throw them.  

Trees are not that much fun for mothers, I'm finding.  Trees make needles all over the floor.  Trees need water.  Trees are like a big neon sign for your kid, like a bad friend, like a drug pusher, "Hey, kid, come here.  Your mom said no?  She doesn't know what she's talking about."

I'm almost convinced the tree in the Bible wasn't an apple tree or anything like that..it was a Christmas tree.  How could Eve resist? (She probably liked shiny things too).

Anyway, the tree is up and I'm realizing we are sorely in need of more ornaments.  And maybe an electric fence to surround it.   
 
 "Busy at work" staged photo.

 

His favorite ornament.  Truck! Truck! He's says, pointing and wanting. Truck!  

It was cute at first, now it's just a slice of hell.  

1 comment:

  1. This cracks me up! I was super nervous about the tree and an actual toddler. But I decided to let Eleanor decorate the bottom of the tree with non breakable ornaments. This way she can also redecorate it as she fancies up until Christmas. While its not exactly like my OCD person would like it to be, she is having fun with the bottom half and nothing has broke yet! We need more ornaments too since I overestimated how big our tree was!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!