Thursday, February 7, 2013

Brixton: 21 Months

21 months.  It seems like I should be saying, "Wow, I can't believe it!" or "Time flies!" but honestly, it feels about right.  What's hard to accept is that the baby is gone.  And this time next year I'll be dealing with an almost 3 year old and I have a feeling these days will seem like cake. 

Brendan is still adamant about his No More Babies stance.  75% of me is sad about that, the other 25% is excited knowing we won't have to do bottles, spit-up, middle-of-the-night feedings, and of course that whole pregnancy part again.  One and done.  One is fun. 

This lady I met once, the mother of an 8 year old only child, kind of summed it up in a way that appealed to me.  "One is an accessory.  Two is a lifestyle."  It set the selfish part of me on fire, like I could have it all--a child, yet time for me, too. A child, yet without the financial burden of several.  A child, yet mama can still have a Gucci bag.  (Which I don't..but still).

I'm still selfish.  But I don't think that makes you a bad mom, that just makes you a person.  Realistically speaking, I'll probably always be that way.  It's a rare person who isn't selfish on some level.

And because I'm selfish, I want another child.  I would never EVER take the route my pedicurist recently advised in her broken, adorable English, "Say you take pill.  No take pill!"  Would that work?  Probably.  But that crosses my moral line, it's just too wrong. 

That leaves us with one last option: adoption.  We've discussed it for years--adopting from the foster care system.  The idea has been on the table for a while and we're leaving that door open for now.

Wow.  I wasn't going to write about any of that, it just kind of poured out.

Now that we got all serious up in here, let's talk about Brixton again.

At 21 months he's:

-26 lbs.
-33 inches
 -Obsessed with trucks, plows, diggers, and any other big machines.
-Still hitting me all. the. time.
-Understands everything in English and German.
-Mixes English and German all the time, i.e., messy Nase (nose)
-Loves dancing, reading, splashing in the bath, cuddling with mama, destroying things
-Dislikes sticky stuff, the slightest amount of pain, hearing the word no, brushing his teeth

Two fun stories:

The other morning he spilled milk on a toy.  I told him to go put the toy in the sink so I could rinse it.  He walked into the kitchen--I wasn't sure that he understood what the sink was--but he came out of the kitchen holding a dish towel to wipe the toy off with instead.  Genius! 

Brendan and I often praise with lots of hoorays at the dinner table.  And if Brixton misbehaves we give a him BOOOO and thumbs down.  Well, the other night while eating, I put a mushroom on his tray to see if he'd try it.  He touched it, shook his head, and yelled no.  Then he got a better idea, he touched the mushroom then made a fist and said, BOOOOOO.  We were laughing so hard.  Hey, at least he gets it, right?

And now for some pictures:

We got about 5 inches of snow--great time for some play time outside, right?





Suddenly, things just weren't fun anymore.  Turns out snow is really mean and horrible.

Bushes with snow on them?  Awful.  Really, really sad.

Oh, maybe snow on bushes is fun.  Not sure.  

 Hey, this is fun!  I'm smiling! 

I'm going to get a little closer to the snow and touch it with my mittens.  Wheeeeeeee!

HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY THINK I WOULD WANT TO MAKE A SNOW ANGEL?  

Now I feel really depressed.  
 

 Time for this mama to start gearing up for a 2-year-old's birthday party!  Woot woot!  And speaking of birthdays, we would like to wish a Happy 1st Birthday to our little friend, Otto! Can't wait to see you guys again! (I need to call you!!)


6 comments:

  1. I must say, some times it's a little creepy (in a good way of course) when I read your blog cause our lives are almost parallel. My hubby isn't on board with baby #2 and also people have been telling me to take matters in to my own hands. As if! We also haven't ruled adoption out. WHo knows what the future holds right. Just enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your honesty!! We've got 2, but i def' draw the line there, because i want to be able to have a reasonably comfy life too!(now if only i could stop shopping!) Adoption is also an amazingly UNselfish option, i know a lot of people that wouldn't even consider it. Love your boys facials!! Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your writing style, Kelley. Good read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how adorable! I haven't even had my first yet! one day through, I'll get to go through all this fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this post, Kelley. We all have conflicting feelings when it comes to family, our futures, etc. I love that you are open to whatever happens, that's the way to go. Your family is beautiful and I can not think of anything more UNselfish than adoption: what a gift that would be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! And...dont give up on the second...I know I wont! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!