Tuesday, April 26, 2011

More than a Belly

 This is now how the world sees me:



I've becoming a walking freak show.

When I'm out and about, I've noticed that no one looks at my face anymore (which might be a good thing).  Instead, their eyes always gravitate to my stomach and stay there.

It's not polite to stare, sir.  I want to say.

Teenage girls stare and then talked in hushed whispers. And then giggles.  You'll see.  One day it might happen to you too.

I have to say though, people are also very polite when you're pregnant.  Workers at stores ask you 100 times if you need help looking for anything, people hold open doors for you--or if they don't, they realize they didn't and feel really bad, apologizing profusely.  

When waddling from the parking lot into the store, cars actually slow down and give you a wide berth.  

What is it about a pregnant woman that turns people all mushy?  

Because it seems to change once you are pushing a stroller.  Now, I haven't had my own children, but when nannying little ones I would take them out all the time.  Pushing a stroller seems to signal to cars "speed up".  People begrudgingly hold doors open for you, if at all.  Kind of like they're saying, well you brought this on yourself.  

Pregnant woman=sympathy  Stroller pusher=target

So far, no one has tried to touch my stomach, to my great relief.  I've had more comments from men than from women.  The men are all fathers themselves and really proud of it.  They give words of advice, offer their congratulations and talk about their own children....with so much love they can't suppress. Also, the men tend to whip out a phone or wallet and show pictures.  I've gotten really good at being really enthusiastic all the while thinking I've got to go!

The women seem to go more towards the "Oh, you're so small!" or "Giiiiirl..you look great!"  I rounded a corner in Target the other day and took a woman by surprise.  She stuttered out "You're, you're...about to give birth! But the only part of you that's big is your stomach! Wow! You look amazing!"  Really sweet and how nice is it to hear when you can barely find anything in your closet that fits anymore?

Really though, I could do without the aforementioned stares of terror.  Are they waiting to see if my water will break?  If I'll do the pregnant lady hand-on-back pose?  I think next time in public I'm going to do a big groan, double over while clutching my stomach, count to 3, then pop up with a smile, a bow and a Miss America wave.  
Then I'll have to sit down to catch my breath. 

8 comments:

  1. Man, I remember it took forever for my belly to ever get big enough for people to notice. Maybe week 36 or 37, and by then I was loving all the attention. It was as if I was deprived all the other months when everyone was "questioning" my lack of a belly. Oh people/strangers are so weird about their comments towards pregnant women. I think they should all just say, "You look gorgeous! Hope you feel well - When does your little one arrive?" Or something like that.

    But it's true people are nicer - I say eat it up now! People aren't nice enough. And as for strollers - Nathan and I had a conversation about this over the weekend. I was carrying Eleanor in the Moby and everyone was SO nice. Sweet smiles, congratulations, awws and ooohs. I was impressed! Wow I'm gonna wear a baby more often. Nathan asked I wonder if it's like that with strollers? And, I said hell, No - People hate strollers! (Even I do though I understand their neccessity).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that before I was pregnant, I was probably one of those people who stared at the ladies with the baby bellies. I wasn't trying to be rude at all, I was just SUPER curious. Especially because I think pregnant women are lovely. And you are no exception because you look GREAT!

    People are always trying to guess who far along I am lately..."6 months?" "are you about 7 months?" then when I tell them I am 9 and about to pop any day now...they freak out. Everyone loves a pregnant woman, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is SO true. I've noticed that now that I'm pushing a baby round with me I've become a target! What's with that? What's funny about being nine months pregnant, though, was that no one would dare comment on it. In fact, a few restaurants tried to seat us in narrow booths and I was like, "Um, hello? Can you not see this ENORMOUS belly? Get me a chair, dammit!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I have to say I was one of the people that would look at a prego lady and think "gross". Sorry. I'm still not in love with it, but I also would look at them and think they were cute. It's just such a strange thing growing a baby in your tummy.

    And the pushing a stroller thing--I have to say I've only really had a lot of experience with this in San Diego, so I don't know if it's just bc there were so many young things there that couldn't fathom slowing their car down for a lady pushing stroller. Seriously though, I'd still be in the crosswalk and the cars would be inching closer and closer. Sometimes I'd just stop and look at them and throw my hands up! Chill!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are all jealous! Enjoy it, revel in it. It is sooo glorious being a pregnant lady! I miss it so much, but couldn't be happier to have Huxley on the outside. He's much more fun to play with!

    Love the name Brixton, by the way. Sooo cute.

    xo,
    Hb

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha that picture cracks me up! :) you crack me up actually.

    although right now people are pretty nice when you have a new baby...we'll see how it goes further down the road :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think you look great but yeah, once you get that pregnant, you don't exist anymore, just the belly. it prepares you for when the baby comes and then you don't exist at all!! it's all about the baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i loved your show your bump feature! i right around the corner of 31 weeks- I can't wait to follow along with you on the journey to mommy land- I can't wait for it!!

    xo,
    A

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!