Monday, April 25, 2011

Nanny to Mommy

If you didn't already know, I've worked as a nanny for about 12 years of my life.  Boys and girls. Twins.  Families with 5 kids all under the age of 5. Small families. Single mothers.  Ages 2 months to 14 years.  Some I stayed with for just a few weeks, others for three years. Some a few hours a day, others 50+ hours a week.

I've been bit, scratched, spit on, peed on, pooped on, thrown up on.  I've fished baby poop out of the tub.  I've held a baby that wouldn't stop crying.  I know about fevers, teething, and diaper rash.  I've clipped countless tiny fingernails.  I understand the tedium and boredom.  I've seen dozens of different products used in various homes.  I've learned what was actually used and what wasn't.  I've worked in homes where TV was allowed and where it wasn't.  I've read Good Night Moon about 1000 times. I've kissed a lot of boo boos. 

Nannying has taught me a lot about mothering.  About families.  About babies and kids.  

I've seen the good.  I learned a lot about organic food from the families that opted for that.  I learned some cool food options for little ones, like Brewer's yeast, tofu, avocado, Tofu Pups and veggies galore.  Dads that care and are involved.  Moms that let their kids learn from mistakes. I've discovered some good kid tunes that don't drive me crazy--Laurie Berkner being one. I've experienced different mothering styles--from super hands on, to letting me be the mother. Baby Wise. Love & Logic. I learned baby sign language.

I've seen the bad.  Siblings that seem to want nothing more than to kill each other.  Parents that let their 5 year old son watch R-Rated movies (think True Lies...and when the Jamie Lee Curtis striptease part came on, the little boy turned to me--who felt quite uncomfortable already--and said This part makes my pee pee feel funny.  AWKWARD.) Parents that let their kids call me bad words in front of them. Little girls, who at age five, are already making sexy poses in the mirror.  Parents that can barely contain their dislike for one another.  Moms who lunch and miss out on some great stuff. 

And I've experienced the ugly.  Parents locking their child inside the house (this was in Germany and their locks could lock both ways) while we went out for the evening (I lived with them).  He was 8.  One family I worked for was actually featured on the TV show Nanny 911.  My first day with them she was getting a private massage in her room and instructed me to keep her 4 year old son, who I had just met, away from the door.  He screamed and cried and pounded on the door for the whole hour.  The second time I worked there she left me without any diapers.  None.  And couldn't be reached on her cell.  Also there was the mom who, when I told her the fit wasn't right with us and I didn't think I could continue on with them, threatened to take an ad out in the paper telling people not to hire me.  If I'd had my wits about me I would have told her to go ahead, as a libel settlement could be much more lucrative than watching her kids. 

One common area: ALL of these parents LOVED their kids.  Everyone has a different way of showing that love.  No family is perfect. No mother is perfect.  There is no one perfect approach to raising a child. 
 

I'm so blessed to have this experience and I'm grateful for all the families that entrusted me with their precious children.  Especially the little babies. Ava Bella, who I watched from 3 months to 3 years.  Isabella, 3 months to 19 months and who was the final straw in me deciding I wanted a baby.  


And now, finally, I can have a little one of my own.  That time invested is something I can see payoff down the road.  I can reap what I sow.  I can't wait!!


Despite my experience, the first 2-3 months are still daunting.  That's the part I have no experience with.  Also, the part where I don't get to kiss a tiny face good-bye and go home for the evening.  Nope.  This little one is all mine!

2 comments:

  1. the first three months are the easiest (just the most sleep deprived.) considering all the stuff you've already been witness to, i call you a pro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This part makes my pee pee feel funny."
    OMG.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!