When we first moved into this house, the room that we were going to be using as a nursery for Brix looked like this:
The father had said he copied the style out of a Pottery Barn catalog..but..well..A. none of the blues actually went together. B. I'm not a wallpaper border fan. C. If you are going to copy something out of Pottery Barn, it had better be done well..and well..this wasn't really PB level. He actually kind of wanted us to just keep it as is (was). That wasn't happening though.
I also need to mention that the carpet is a darkish navy blue. We are really lucky we are having a boy, because this made the decorating a whole lot easier.
Brendan spent a solid 3-4 days painting the textured ceiling white, taking down the border, repainting the baseboards and window sills, painting the walls and cleaning. Up top here he actually found some mummified cat poo. We don't own a cat. I made him spray that area down with a bleach-based substance about 3 times. Ick.
We had to work with the carpet and the window treatments, but I wanted something simple, refreshing, neutral and not really based on a theme. Here's what Brixton gets:
We painted the walls a light, icy gray-blue to try to counteract the dark blue carpet and shades. Also, painting the textured ceiling really opened it up.
Brix's crib and bedding is simple. Just some colorful stars. And my DIY mobile also has colorful stars. The banner I made myself with, you guessed it, colorful stars.
I really liked these vintage House & Garden ads. I figured they are colorful, interesting and when he's older we can make up stories together about what's going on in the pictures.
This shelf is by the door to his room. I love the idea of plants in his room, so I planted that Ivy. The yellow bird is from his baby shower diaper cake. I still need a good picture of Nana though. Otherwise he'll grow up thinking that his Nana is an aging Asian woman.
I saw that alphabet pic at Target and loved it. He's got a few books out, his only stuffed animal friend and Miss Kitty. The kitty is from Berkley Illustrations on Etsy. They have so many different animals all dressed up spiffy-like. I went to high school with Ryan and saw him last summer at the Renegade Craft Fair here in Chicago. He was actually the first person I told I was pregnant and then he insisted I pick out a picture. I was still thinking in baby girl mode at the time, so I picked out the kitty. Brixton's just gonna have to love her too. Thanks again Ryan and Lucy!
And shame on me, I just realized I didn't take a picture of the other half of the room, under the big window. It's not all that exciting. A long dresser with a changing table, diapers and a spider plant on top. Next to that is a rocker with light blue cushions.
Sometimes in the middle of the night during a trot to the toilet, I'll go in there and just sit. Just sit and dream and imagine a tiny breathing body in that crib.
Can't wait to meet you little guy.
The father had said he copied the style out of a Pottery Barn catalog..but..well..A. none of the blues actually went together. B. I'm not a wallpaper border fan. C. If you are going to copy something out of Pottery Barn, it had better be done well..and well..this wasn't really PB level. He actually kind of wanted us to just keep it as is (was). That wasn't happening though.
I also need to mention that the carpet is a darkish navy blue. We are really lucky we are having a boy, because this made the decorating a whole lot easier.
Brendan spent a solid 3-4 days painting the textured ceiling white, taking down the border, repainting the baseboards and window sills, painting the walls and cleaning. Up top here he actually found some mummified cat poo. We don't own a cat. I made him spray that area down with a bleach-based substance about 3 times. Ick.
We had to work with the carpet and the window treatments, but I wanted something simple, refreshing, neutral and not really based on a theme. Here's what Brixton gets:
We painted the walls a light, icy gray-blue to try to counteract the dark blue carpet and shades. Also, painting the textured ceiling really opened it up.
Brix's crib and bedding is simple. Just some colorful stars. And my DIY mobile also has colorful stars. The banner I made myself with, you guessed it, colorful stars.
I really liked these vintage House & Garden ads. I figured they are colorful, interesting and when he's older we can make up stories together about what's going on in the pictures.
This shelf is by the door to his room. I love the idea of plants in his room, so I planted that Ivy. The yellow bird is from his baby shower diaper cake. I still need a good picture of Nana though. Otherwise he'll grow up thinking that his Nana is an aging Asian woman.
I saw that alphabet pic at Target and loved it. He's got a few books out, his only stuffed animal friend and Miss Kitty. The kitty is from Berkley Illustrations on Etsy. They have so many different animals all dressed up spiffy-like. I went to high school with Ryan and saw him last summer at the Renegade Craft Fair here in Chicago. He was actually the first person I told I was pregnant and then he insisted I pick out a picture. I was still thinking in baby girl mode at the time, so I picked out the kitty. Brixton's just gonna have to love her too. Thanks again Ryan and Lucy!
And shame on me, I just realized I didn't take a picture of the other half of the room, under the big window. It's not all that exciting. A long dresser with a changing table, diapers and a spider plant on top. Next to that is a rocker with light blue cushions.
Sometimes in the middle of the night during a trot to the toilet, I'll go in there and just sit. Just sit and dream and imagine a tiny breathing body in that crib.
Can't wait to meet you little guy.









Nice work on the nursery. I love all the little details and the fact that you're incorporating plants into his room.
ReplyDeleteGood job shining that turd of a room! That original ceiling was beyond bizarre. And I love Miss Kitty -- I think she's quirky enough for girls AND boys to enjoy. :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks guys! It's simple and works for me..he's not gonna remember it anyway!! :-)
ReplyDeletelove the nursery! love the name too! oh aaaand i love your blog :)
ReplyDeletethe room looks lovely. he is going to love it. you mean his nana is not an aging asian woman? lol
ReplyDeleteI ran across your blog from Spearmint Baby. I have to chuckle as my daughter (Kristin) and her husband Jeremy as expecting their first baby (a boy to be named Blake) 1 week before you. Alot of similarities, K for Kelley & Kristin, boys with B for Brixton and Blake, 1st babies and Kristin and Jeremy painted Blake's room a gray color (Elephant Skin gray - it's actually beautiful). Good luck the rest of the way until delivery. My daughter is about the same size as you so it will be interesting to see the sizes of both of the babies.
ReplyDeleteDoreen
Thanks Doreen! Those are a lot of similarities! Blake is a great name, we know another couple having a baby Blake in about a week's time...congrats to you!
ReplyDelete-Kelley
I used to do the same thing when I made my nursery for Kanan!
ReplyDeleteIt's different now. Jameson is going to share a room with Kanan so there is no real nursery to dream in. Just a changing table and a crib on one side of Kanan's room. No baby decorations or name on the wall. I guess I see the room as temporary until we find a bigger apartment one day. So I just didn't put the effort in this time. :( Kinda sad! There is something so magical about setting up a nursery and dreaming of your new baby. I'm so happy that you get to experience that!