Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Kind of Pathetic

The most exciting part of my day? When the mail comes.

I'm sadly serious. 

All morning I wait for it.  I must check about a dozen times if it's come.  I look for the mail truck.  I look to see if my neighbors box is full.  I look to see if my outgoing mail has been taken.  Today I was impatient.  Normally she comes around 11.  Today I had to wait until about 12:30 and that was really, really hard.  It's not that I'm expecting anything interesting.  I don't know exactly what it is about the mail that's so exciting, but wow, it can make or break my day.

Yesterday's mail was great.  Two checks, a bill, some junk mail.  Today was awful.  All junk mail.  That's always a disappointment.  The best days are package days, especially when the package is for me or Brix.  Brendan's boxes usually contain boring things like bikes or clothes (for riding bikes)...*nose crinkle.* 

When I lived in Germany I was home all day too (I was an Au-Pair).  The mail coming was just as exciting, except that was when life was different and people actually wrote letters.  Some days I would get 7 letters..others none.  The joy of those 7 letter days though...

Anyone else look forward to anything unexceptional? 






12 comments:

  1. oh man. i LOVE the mail. i was nodding along to everything you said in the post. i get really, really excited whenever a catalog comes in. (as long as it's not for golf or football.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to say that I love the mail too. Ours is at the post office, but I still love going almost every day and get upset when my hubby won't go when I'm working and can't get it myself! I totally know where you're coming from...it's the small things!

    Sarah
    Nurse Loves Farmer

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, I wish I loved getting the mail. It's always bills and junk here, though. I had a ton of penpals when I was 14. That was the last time I actually enjoyed the mail. Anything squeal-worthy gets dropped at our doorstep now, which is pretty cool! (Usually diapers, but it's better than a bill, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yea, I don't know what it is about the damn mail...but I love when that box is full. It isn't ever interesting, either! Very rarely is it something awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get really, really excited when I FINALLY have a moment to watch TV, click on my DVR, and there's like a ton of my guilty pleasure shows just waiting for me! "Yay, Keeping Up with the Kardashians AND Jersey Shore, WOOHOO!!!!"
    It's the little things in life my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i LOVE the mail, too! magazine days & netflix deliveries are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I must have hit a nerve! Look at all these comments!

    Hilary~magazines ARE the best! My Vogue subscription just ran out..:-(

    Olivia~My guilty pleasure shows are America's Next Top Model and The Bachelor..but I don't have DVR..maybe that's a good thing?

    Becca~Maybe the mail is like a little gift for each day..some days it sucks, other days it's awesome..kind of like gambling

    LGP- I totally want to shout that out gangsta-style. LGP representin'! Ha! I had penpals too! Now they are FB friends..

    Cass-Are you gonna send me a life or what?LOL

    Sarah-THAT'S commitment, when you actually have to go somewhere else to get the mail! Commitment or a possible addiction.

    Deanna-The image of you reading this post and nodding along makes me laugh. I don't know why, you just make me laugh :-) In the best way of course..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I look forward to the kids going to bed! I start getting excited about 7PM.. Nighty nighty my little babies.. mommies time to have mommy time (maybe even take a shower) :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't get excited about the everyday mail. However, our formula is delivered once a month, and I LOVE when it comes. Stocking the shelves in the pantry makes my day. #ireallyneedtogetoutmore

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some days getting the mail is the only exercise or sun I get! I have to wait until the baby is down for his nap, so I can sneak a walk all the way across the street. Since the inception of playdates, the most exciting mail items are birthday party invitations. When all the neighborhood kids are playing in the cul-de-sac, you should see the look on the moms' faces when the UPS truck drives by. We're all thinking, "Did I order something? Could it be for me??"

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just rushed out the door when our mail lady arrived! Made me think of this post! Of course all the things I was waiting for were not in the mail. On to Monday I guess.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!