(Overheard at the Renegade Craft Fair.)
Also overheard:(to Brendan who was toting Baby Brix around in the Bjorn) "I tol' ya not to get married!"
-Homeless Man
We had a great time. We got there right at 11am, before the tents and streets were clogged with people. Being the wonderful mother that I am, I didn't bring a hat for Brixton, whose baby face was waging a losing battle against the sun. So we had to get him this little cycling cap:
I said hi to my old friend, Mr. Ryan Berkley, and his lovely wife (pregnant!!) of Berkley Illustrations fame. I love seeing old friends from old times. And I like seeing new friends from new times, like these characters:
Yep, that's Carey, Nathan, and Baby Eleanor from Yellowlovesquare! Carey and Nathan are as cute as buttons, but let's get down to brass tacks. Their kid is gorgeous. You've seen her in pictures, but they don't do her justice (or maybe they do, she's really photogenic). Plus, she's only 5 months and has this amazing personality-- this amazing spirit about her. She really looks at you, almost through you. Her eyes look into yours and it's like she's whispering "Shhh..hold still because I'm studying your aura right now." When she finishes determining if you are worthy, she reaches out her little baby hand to you. "Come here, hold my hand. You have been chosen." Then she smiles.
Brixton, while also quite adorable and sweet, seemed like a sack of potatoes all drooly in his Bjorn. His weepy, clogged tear duct was all gooey and I noticed ear wax in his ear. Like a baby hobo in comparison to a sparkling angel. At one point he and Miss Eleanor made some serious eye contact and smiles were exchanged. Maybe he was just a little nervous? (He doesn't have much experience around girls). Carey and Nathan assured me that the personality comes in around 5 months, perhaps along with some teeth, so we needn't worry too much. :-)
We pattered around the whole gamut and then some, pausing here and there to look at stuff. I could have spent hundreds of dollars, but I have a hard time spending $20 on a baby bib or $25 on a onesie. It would be hard, but I could totally do it. We ate some food, saw tons of great fashion (and some real interesting ones too) and felt inspired. Should we move to the city? Our lives would change so much. We aren't sure if we are city people anymore. And Chicago is a CITY. Not like San Diego, where "living in the city" meant kicking it in North Park or University Heights and still having/needing a car. Chicago is a true city, much like New York. And that's a bit overwhelming to me. Yet....you never know with us. You just never know.
Brendan leaves tomorrow for a work/fun trip to...Vegas...for...10 days. 10 days people. What in the heck am I going to do?






Awwww, probably just missed you guys. You know how it is running on baby time. I didn't stay long, much too crowded this year! Glad you enjoyed the city though, tis a wonderful place to live.
ReplyDeleteFun!
ReplyDeleteI love it when bloggers get to meet. Maybe someday I'll get to meet you. :-)
P.S. Thanks for the kind comment on my blog. :-) Twenty-seven feels so long ago, and I'm pretty sure I'm looking closer to 40 with the huge bags under my eyes lately. Miss that sleep ...
Kelley! You are so awesome and so is that little family of yours! Brixton is a doll. I loved his rosy cheeks and pretty lips.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it funny how when you are in the presence of other babies you start judging yours? Eleanor always has crusties in her right eye from a clogged tear duct, too - though I don't understand how that is actually possible since it is the eye that produces the most tears! Anyways, no need because we are two lucky ladies with some pretty cool babies! Eleanor loved Brixton!
It was so nice to finally get to meet you in person! It was one of the highlights from my day. And, Brendan took such a nice picture of us!