Wednesday, October 5, 2011

World-Wide Views on Breastfeeding

The other day Brix and I went to our German playgroup.  I got out a bottle and started feeding him, when one of the German gals asked me something.  "Kelley, do you blahblah?"  Huh?  I didn't understand the verb.  "What is blahblah?" I asked.  "Breastfeed."
Oh snap.  Here we go.  

When talking to Germans about breastfeeding, you must realize you will never be right.  There is only one way, and that is the German way.  Boobs out, no cover, baby drinking.  Otherwise you will get a glare and a crinkled up German nose, because any other way is not natural.

I explained to her I was only pumping.  This started the complaints about Americans and our prudishness.  How can we cover ourselves up like that when feeding?  Why are we so afraid to breastfeed?  What's wrong with us?

Now I wasn't just defending myself, but the whole country.  And you know what?  I'm sick to death about this. A LOT of women breastfeed or breastfed their babies.  I think almost all of my friends with kids did.  A lot of women try and it doesn't work out.  Yes, if you pull your boobs out in public to feed there is a chance you will get a negative reaction, and yes, Christina Aguilera (or whoever) can wear a bikini in a music video and there's not a lot of complaints.  It's just us.  It's our culture.  I think it's slowly changing, but it is what it is.

I found this website today Breastfeeding in Public and found it to be very interesting.  It lists different countries and people have given their stories about breastfeeding and its acceptance there.  Guess what?  America is NOT the only place where breastfeeding garners negative reactions or unpopularity.  The UK, Australia, NZ, Spain, France...yep, even those places have a ways to go too.  Interesting how the English speaking countries seem to have the biggest problems.  Puritans, anyone?  
I was surprised by it and relieved.  We may have long strides to make, but we are not alone in this struggle (and this from someone who didn't breastfeed tyvm).  If you have time and interest, take a look.  I was most struck by the women in Saudi Arabia and surprised at the lack of breastfeeders in France. 












6 comments:

  1. I personally am not one for flopping your boobs out in public and feeding your kid. I don't have a problem with breastfeeding, I think it's great for those who want to do it. I did it for 4 weeks and thought I was going to go insane because I hated it SO much! I still feel like women look down on me because I WANTED a c-section and because I didn't want to breastfeed. I just wish it didn't matter which way you choose to do things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. even though i breastfed two children, i wasn't comfortable doing it in public. with owsley i was a little more comfortable about not running into a different room when i was with my family, but i still used a blanket to cover myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I nursed my daughter for 4 months, 3 of which were in the states. The only public places I could bring myself to do it were the car and the beach, it just made me too uncomfortable thinking that I was making other people uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have breastfed three children: the first two for 23 months and my third for 12 months. (I had recurrent mastitis so I had to stop) I find it bewildering that a mother nursing her child could make someone uncomfortable, or that it could be labeled "gross". (yes, I have heard that remark before) Kelley, you were spot on with the whole bikini thing - - it is true, we show more in a Victoria's Secret ad than when breastfeeding, but somehow the latter is inappropriate. America, like a lot of countries, needs to get over it. There is nothing more natural than a baby drinking milk that was made expressly for them.
    Great post! xo
    Hincks

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Women all over the world don't have the luxury of "not wanting to breastfeed". Your body makes the milk for a reason: for your baby to stay alive and thrive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is interesting. I assumed Americans were the only ones who had issues with breastfeeding.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!