Sunday, January 1, 2012

Life Before Baby v.5




*Snort*

I have to start out like that because I know how this would all turn out.  Brendan and I did a few Critical Mass rides in San Diego.  I had the junkiest bike ever, complete with a duct-taped bike seat (the bike was free though so whatever).  This was 2008, in the summer and hipsters were really starting to take over the city and like many things that hipsters touch, they ruin.  They ruined Critical Mass, (and Tuesday nights at the Velodrome), at least for me.

This first ride was so much fun.  I loved seeing the annoyed and somewhat baffled drivers as hundreds of bikes just kept whizzing by.  But then I started seeing the not so cool part--people guzzling tall boys of PBR and then throwing the cans on the ground, at cars, in yards.  People on bikes completely surrounding and harassing the people in cars. Fights.  One guy riding in front of me keyed the side of a truck--the entire length of it.  I was furious.  CM is supposed to be a good time, not a time to commit crimes for fun or because you don't think someone should have a truck.  I yelled at the guy. I told him we'd find him later (For what?  I have no idea.) Brendan thought the guy was going to stab me when he dropped back and let me pass.  I never rode in CM again, I was so disappointed and embarrassed by the people that I didn't want to be associated with it.

What I love about this photo: I loved that shirt, still own and wear those jeans, love Brendan's weird duck smile, we don't own either of those bikes anymore but have a whole basement full of different ones now, we knew people in the background and liked to make fun of them (yes, I'm mean). My weird hair. Also, we wore helmets.  Many CM riders didn't and some of them paid a serious price for that.

Life was good.


 Life Before Baby is my weekly series that will highlight a picture and story from my life before I became a mom.  In my current state, I haven't styled my hair in about two weeks or used makeup.  I am still trying to lose the last of the baby weight.  I am wearing a tattered, gray sweatshirt most days and that description would fit my mood as well.  

So let's revisit ME (and hopefully you!).  The person I was, and might well be (somewhere in there) when I can find the inspiration and lose the fear of being spit up on.

If you do a Life Before Baby post, please link up and let me know in the comments.  I'd love to know that you weren't always "just" someone's mom either!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and I reply to them too!