Thursday, February 2, 2012

My Son, the T-Rex

Brixton's doing this new thing lately.  It's a new face with a noise.  It's awful.  I've been around a lot of kids in my life and I've never heard a noise like this.  

First, he scrunches up his nose and makes his mouth into an angry 'O'.  His lips are all tense and puckered out.  

Second, he looks right at you.  Right at your soul.

Third, he emits a sound that is kind of like the T-Rex in Jurassic makes. You know.  That sound.  

Except Brixton makes the noise through his nose.  That's right.  It makes this horrible vibrating sound, a rattling like he's got a penny stuck up there or a sinus infection and can't breathe, except he can but he's just figured out the noise Mommy Hates The Worst.  

Here's how he uses it:

Me: Here, let's play with the balloons!  Wheeeeeee!

Brixton: Brixton no want play balloon.  Brixton want pull mommy hair.

Me: Look, the blue balloons is kissing the pink one! Muah!

Brixton: Brixton no like blue balloon. Brixton no like kiss. Mommy make Brixton angry.

Me: What's...wro...NOOOOOOOO!!

Brixton:

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! (via)


Brendan was working out of town a week ago or so and we were talking on the phone.  T-Rex came out of nowhere.  "What was that?" Brendan asked, quietly, like he really didn't want to know the answer.  "Oh, that's just your son, the T-Rex."

I told my parents about The Sound.  My mom, like all things Brixton, thought it was hilarious.  This kid could shoot down the moon and my mom would think it was the best thing ever.  My dad actually brought The Sound up in conversation, wanting more details, a description.  

I gave him those things, lamenting over how awful The Sound was, how it was completely unstoppable, it was horrendous.  

He laughed.  

He laughed the kind of laugh that parents finally get to laugh when their kids have kids.  It's a laugh that comes from finally getting some revenge on those days years and years ago, when I was the baby driving my parents crazy.  It was a laugh that said, "I enjoy the torment you are going through. Really.  Keep telling me about it."  I stopped, because I didn't want to add to his sickness.



So weird.  They don't really look alike. Except for the teeth.(Via)


 

9 comments:

  1. Yes! Porter makes this crazy raspy sound, I can't even put to words what it sounds like, but we call it his monster noise. Like, he really sounds like some sort of crazy thing that I'm not sure even exists...it's pretty dang funny though! Glad I'm not the only one with a a child who thinks he's an animal, haha :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sound is so hard to describe, huh? I keep ignoring it hoping it will go away. No luck so far.

      Delete
  2. haha! sorry for the pain on your ears, but this totally cracked me up :)

    natalie has a blood-curdling screech that is her patented "No!" sound--a high pitched scream with eyes wide open and arms tensed up.

    kids are so weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see a picture of that. It sounds pretty intense!

      "kids are so weird" LOL!

      Delete
  3. "except for the teeth"<-- hahaha
    You know, it's hard to feel bad for you when you post such a-freakin-dorable pictures of your son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha!! Seriously, you'd be sad if you heard this sound!

      Delete
  4. I'd like to hear that! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd regret saying that. Really. We now call it his "nose kazoo" LOL

      Delete
  5. I'll say!! Most of my traffic now comes from people searching "T-rex"

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!