Friday, February 17, 2012

The Night I Woke Brixton Up for Cuddles at 11:30pm

I was really hyper the other night.  I couldn't simmer down and get ready for bed.  Brendan was out of town, so I sat on the couch watching the Food Network and checking out blogs.  

Finally at 11:30 I decided to turn in.  But not alone.  Brixton made a few little peeps and I thought it would be so much fun(!!!) to have him sleep next to me.  So I got him up.

He was wide-awake, but so was I.  

Did I mention he was wide-awake?


Wide-awake.

  
We played.  He kicked and squealed.  We tried Skyping my mom.  At 12:15am we turned off the lights and played with a flashlight, the light shining all over the room, reflecting off of mirrors and making fun shapes on the ceiling.  Then we played with the seahorse.  Brixton was enthralled.  I imagined him thinking, "This is the best night EVER!"  





12:30 seemed like a good time to go to sleep.  At least it did to me.  Brixton didn't think so.  He thought it was time to hit, pinch, pull hair, roll over, roll onto me, drool (or was that me?), lose his paci seven times, and pull the blanket over his head and make suffocating sounds.  

I did my best to ignore him.  It wasn't hard.  He kept looking at me to see if I was looking at him.  And obviously I was since I know that.  Every time we'd make eye contact, he'd smile, which is hard to not return.  

45 minutes later he was settling down.  By settling down I mean he was only hitting, pinching, rolling, squirming, and moving every 30 seconds rather than every 5 seconds.  

Eventually we both fell asleep, but this was by far the worst night's sleep I've had since his birth, including the entire newborn stage.  Co-sleeping would have never worked with this baby.  All through the night he cried out, rolled over, smacked me, pulled all the blankets off of him and even once managed to put his foot on my mouth.  Any hopes of him feeling tired and sleeping-in were dashed when he woke up as energetic and chipper as a bluebird at 7:15am, discovered mommy next to him, and practiced using his eagle talons to carve his name into my face.  

There was one tender moment.  At one point in the night, he rolled right into me, cuddled up onto  my arm and slept for a bit.  We were curled right into each other and his little head was right under my face.  I breathed in his dreamy baby scent and felt my heart grow.  

Then, his tiny angel hand grabbed mine, he looked into my eyes and said, "Mama."  

Okay, that last bit didn't happen, oh, but a mama can dream can't she?

20 comments:

  1. Seriously, what is with the face clawing at this stage? Logan loves to hit, punch and grab my face like it's the most fun game he's ever played. "Gentle" and "ow" mean nothing to him - as he looks at me seriously for a few seconds then laughs.

    I don't think co-sleeping would have worked with Logan either. He moves all over and is not a calm, snuggler when it comes to sleeping. Once he's out he really just wants to be left alone.

    Brixton is adorable to the tenth degree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brixton's the same when he falls asleep: let me sleep, don't try to cuddle me, I'm sleeping.

      He also bit me for the first time yesterday. Can't wait for that phase to catch on.

      Delete
  2. first time visitor here!! i looooooved this post! baby / mommy sleepovers are the best when daddy is out of town. yours was hilarious!! the foot in the mouth part made me laugh so hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was going to lose a tooth..serious. Thanks for following! :-)

      Delete
  3. I'm laughing so hard because I know exactly the kind of night you had. When we were on vacation, Alexa wanted to sleep with us in bed, only not really. She is a violent sleeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great idea in theory huh? Like communism.

      Delete
  4. I seriously laughed out loud reading that last part. Oh, too, too funny :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked that! I wish it had really happened, but for now I'll just create my own reality!

      Delete
  5. HAHAHAHA omg that was just the best lil tid bit story EVER :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can totally relate to this post! Sometimes we co-sleep but the only one that gets any rest is the baby (well, he's 13 months). Maybe we should stop trying. His cuddly face makes it (almost) worth it, though ;)
    P.S. He is absolutely precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's those cuddly little faces that get you!

      Delete
  7. New follower here! Lovin' this blog! ♥

    Have been co-sleeping with my 2 year-old since she was born, and I still hasn't got used to her being a violent sleeper that she is. I would wake up with painful nose or mouth (for being kicked and headbutted several times). I find myself dreaming that she'll grow up to a kid that I could cuddle during sleep. I wish!

    I find your sense of humor addicting, seriously! keep posting!
    Here is something for you. SMILE! http://www.babypics.com/pics/a238/00000006

    Sheena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you never know what the future holds! Maybe one day you can snuggle up with her!

      Delete
  8. So sweet! I cannot imagine co-sleeping for more than a couple hours with my daughter... She kicks me right out of bed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an adorable entry! I have energy all the time when my husband doesn't, so hopefully when my own little baby comes along I can have someone else to get my energy out with! What a special mother son moment.

    Love your writing. It is very addicting and descriptive.

    new follower :)
    bonnie
    bonnielouisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie, thanks for following! Hope it's a "good" addiction! :-)

      Delete
  10. I love your writing Kels, you are very gifted. I love seeing those pics with Brixton's little teeth poking out. He's soo happy!!!! MISS YOU ALL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I don't know who this is..there are 4 choices! Miss you too, stranger.

      Delete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!