Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Pinning!





With our move coming up in about a month, I've been really thinking about making some changes to our home decorating situation.  We've had basically the same stuff for about five years, when we got married, and I'm ready to freshen things up a bit by adding new colors and textures.  

By the way, this is our 7th move since being married in May 2007.  San Diego to Denver.  Denver to San Diego. San Diego back to Denver (yeah, I'm not kidding).  Had to move into new apartment in the same complex. Denver to Schaumburg, Illinois.  Schaumburg to current house.  And now current house to Chicago proper.
Phew. That's a lot of moving y'all. 

Our current living room is a modge-podge of design, something I find a bit French/classic style.  It works for our 1924 house, but the condo we are moving into was built in 2008 and is very contemporary--the light fixtures, window treatments, kitchen--is clearly NOT 1924.  Which is going to be a challenge to incorporate my stuff as is.

I'd like to move upward and onward from French classic and travel south a bit to more Spanish/Moroccan themes, textures, and colors, which I find inspiring and romantic.

Pinterest is a moving girl's best friend when coming up with ideas for new living spaces.  While it can be a time-suck, like blogging, at least it's a useful time-suck.  As long as I'm not just pinning eye-liner tutorials or how to make waves with a flat iron.  

I've found these things, which I really like and hope to get/do/make (click photos for more info):





These rugs are AWESOME!  The colors are vibrant and I love the design.  I would love a big one for the living room, but we already have two rugs for there, so I'm thinking our bathroom.


I'm not a seamstress and I don't know much about fabric, but I do know that I often see beautiful prints that I like, but don't know what to do with them.  This idea=genius.  And cheap.  And easy to do for DIY novices like me.



Our current headboard?  A wreck.  We love a good deal (especially Brendan..ahem) and we got our headboard from someone selling their brokedown Ikea headboard/frame on Craigslist.  It's a piece of junk.  JUNK.  So the idea of grabbing a few 2x4s and some stain is DIY friendly, cheap, and easy for me to convince Brendan to do. 


I love me a gallery wall.  This one appeals to me with the varied colored frames and sizes.  The only concern is exactly what the picture shows: a small hand reaching up and touching, which invariably turns into grabbing, which turns into shattered glass on the floor.  So I'm thinking a gallery wall like this, but maybe not starting at the floor.  I'm going to have a crawler soon, after all.


Admittedly, I'm a little late to the Chevron print party, but I'm here.  I love this.  Anything that doubles as pretty storage (especially when you are losing about 700 square feet and a grip load of closet space) is a win.  I would love this for the foot of our bed to keep our sheets and such in.





Isn't this cute?
Colorful? Check.
Easy to do? Check.
Fun for Brixton's room? Check.
Cheap? Check.


Find me on Pinterest under BrixtonMakesThree.

Happy Pinning!

10 comments:

  1. Loving your design ideas for your new place. How exciting!

    I'm a big fan of Spanish and Moroccan textures with rich colors and some rustic accents.

    You can still incorporate a lot of your existing furnishings though to achieve your goal, and even repurpose some items.

    How fun! Can't wait to see pics of your new place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want a new couch, ours is brown and just kind of blah. (And really saggy). Brendan likes this one with a color called "Kiwi", but we'll see..Let the countdown to Otto begin!

      Delete
  2. How exciting! You better share pics of your newly decorated place when you get it together. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lot of pressure. But I'll probably do it anyway! :)

      Delete
  3. I pinned that same lampshade a few weeks ago! I love it! Um. So. Those fabric frames....genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope I can find random buttons to put on it (if I even make it..you know how Pinterest projects go...)!!

      Delete
  4. your house is gorgeous! Love the Chicago style bungalos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will love Chicago....I have to say since it got cold I have not been out doors {{not a cold fan}} but there is so much fun things to do in the Spring which is coming up. :) Check out www.cheersformoms.com. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh..thanks for the tip on that website. I've joined a few of the mom groups in the city already. The more the merrier!

      Delete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!