Dear Brixton,
Sometimes Mommies make mistakes. Sometimes they think something is really cute for their child and they try to just make it work. Sometimes it turns out fine, other times it causes deep emotional scars.
Finding proof that your mother didn't actually love you can really hurt. I found that proof and need to share it as an example to all of the other Mommies out there.
You see, Brixton, in the 1980s there was a hair trend called the "Mullet." It had a certain kind of clientele, a certain panache. We won't go into all that now, but know this: I was young, innocent and not in control of the scissors.
I always thought Oma loved me, until I found these pictures a while back. Now that the new, improved me knows how to use the scanner, we can all decide whether or not I was loved. You'll see what I mean:
Yes, apparently I had a mullet. And a bad one at that (but by default, aren't all mullets bad?) And my mom curled my hair that way every morning (I still have the scars from where I struggled).
However ug this picture is, the real problems clearly began in 3rd grade. I don't know what I did that year to deserve this:
When Daddy saw this picture of me and stopped laughing long enough to catch his breath, he said I looked like Joe Dirt.
Eerily similar. Except I think I might look worse than him.
Brixton, I can't guarantee we won't get some bad trends going at some point, but know this:
You will never, ever have a mullet.
Love,
Mommy Mullet



lol. i like mullets!
ReplyDeleteI had one too in 6th grade! LOL..u were cute!
ReplyDeletehah! once i had permed BANGS and straight hair. talk about hideous! my husband rocked the rattail. :) thank goodness hairstyles aren't as bad anymore.
ReplyDeletefound you through tbb!
http://delirious-rhapsody.blogspot.com/
Oh Kell, these are the best pictures ever. I don't think I ever had the mullet, but I had the sweet glasses-braces-frizzy hair combo. I also wore Judith Light glasses a lot of the time. Why were frames so huge in the 80s??
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing these - - priceless!
xo, Hincks
You're lucky. I had a basin cut!
ReplyDelete