Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What's in a Name?

Dear Brixton~

There are a few things you should know about your name.  First of all, some people (particularly from England) are going to hate it.  In fact, they might make fun of Mommy and Daddy for giving you that name.  Brixton is the name of a tough, poverty-stricken neighborhood in south London that is most infamously known for some race riots that occurred in 1981 (with other events happening in 1985, 1995 and 1999).  So, a lot of people have a negative connotation with the name Brixton.

Of course, we didn't name you after the neighborhood and living in America, we don't have the connotation that most English people have.  So when English people (inparticular) make fun, just point out how long ago the riots were, talk about connotation and ask if the English are known for holding on to their patches of violence like medallions in a chest.  Also, you could ask if the name Jack underwent a similar persecution after "Jack the Ripper," or if Henry declined in popularity during the reign of Henry the 8th who, by most accounts, was a big jerk.  If all else fails, you can point out that we didn't name you Adolf.  


Just be aware, to them, it's kind of like we named you Compton.  

We also didn't name you after The Clash song, The Guns of Brixton. (Or the Nouvelle Vague version, which Mommy likes better).


You aren't named after the hat company, Brixton, either.  Though we do really like their hats and Daddy knows them and they were stoked when he told them what we were naming you.  

Your name doesn't have a listing in those "what does my name mean" lists, so you can't go around saying your name means "Loyal Defender" or reciting that your name is Hebrew for "Rising Sun".   

That would be kinda cool though.   


Pregnant women might think your name is Braxton, but that's just because they are having Braxton-Hicks contractions and are so focused on their pregnancies that their brains change the /I/ to the /ae/ sound.  Mommy just busted out her linguistics there...hope I got it right with the phonetic alphabet. 

Kids might call you 'brickhead' or something on the playground.  I knew a boy once named Tucker, so we'll just say he has it a lot worse than you. 

So sorry, my sweetpea, we have no real connection to your name.  When people ask "How'd you come up with that?" our story is weak.  We heard it years ago, liked it and even discussed naming a dog it.  But Mommy thought it was too good of a name, so even though she didn't want any kids, she plucked it out of the options for dog names and named you all that time ago.  

I love you Brixton.  

12 comments:

  1. i think Brixton is a great name.
    i love the way you wrote this. you are a funny one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Just saw your comment on my blog and I wanted to write back, but didn't know if you would go check that again so i'll just write back here :)

    I wasn't interested in breastfeeding AT ALL, but told myself I would TRY it when Porter was born, at least so I could say I tried (and at the time, pumping and bottle feeding never even crossed my mind). Then he came early and it like, motivated me to do it more I think. It was an amazing feeling being able to produce something that I knew was SO GOOD for him! But since he wouldn't ever latch that well, and never got much while attempting to breast feed, the hospital had me pumping while he was in the NICU and feeding him bottles, and now i'm afraid he is too lazy to breast feed because he knows he will get a bottle no matter what, haha. I"m still trying once or twice a day to get him to do it (he will with a nipple shield, but still doesn't get much anyways). I've even been seeing a lactation nurse every week (which is how I know he's not getting much from the breast- they weigh him before and after eating and can tell how much he's getting)...

    It is awesome that you want to pump for your babe, but I will say this- it is SO TIME CONSUMING to have to pump and feed, or vice versa. At this point, I wish he would just eat from my boob because it would be SO MUCH FASTER. My boyfriend helps out a lot though and will feed Porter while i'm pumping sometimes, which saves me time and frustration...so hopefully your guy will be as helpful! I would also suggest buying one of the straps that you can hook the pump into and it holds it to your chest, thus making it hands free (or I can even send you mine if i'm done with it by the time you need it!). This also helps you be able to feed and pump at the same time (or do anything you want while pumping, as long as you don't walk anywhere because you're attached to the dang pump).

    I am not sure how long I will make it doing it this way, but it's been 3 weeks so far and if I can make it at least a month, i'll be happy he got BM for a month...something's better than nothing! :)

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny! We had a son on December 9th, 2010 and named him Brixton... Brixton Jack! I totally laughed when I saw the Jack reference as well. My son is so screwed! =) We call him Brick for fun. I love that nickname after the goofy movie Anchorman. I came across your blog out of googling Brixton and wanted to tell you that you have great taste! We love the name and it is very hard to find a unique and strong name!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber!

    That's awesome!! Our Brixton also have a J middle name--James...He's so cute by the way (yours..I saw your FB profile pic!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this. I think it's a great name. Camden has become popular lately, even with people that LIVE in New Jersey lol...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for this. We are strongly considering the name Brixton for our little girl. We just left London and a few locals told us that we should absolutely not consider it. Of course, they know the history of the town. After reading your post, I just love the name. It made us laugh. Now that your little Brixton has grown, what has been the reaction to his name? Our 2.5 little girl is named Simone which is relatively rare and we love that. Thank you, Tracie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracie!

      Brixton is a fantastic name! I do get some rather cold silences from Brits and I got one nasty comment (on this post) from a Brit that I didn't allow through. I don't see what the big deal is. Brixton, London isn't really THAT big of a deal is it? Especially here in the US, when the vast majority of people have no idea what it is. London also has a seedy past, but quite a few people have that name. There are also Kingstons, Brooklyns, Milans, Parises, etc. Who cares about Brixton?

      I have noticed some people have difficulty pronouncing it (weird, huh?). They can't quite figure out the "x" portion..mostly people that speak English as their 2nd language. Otherwise, the reception is quite warm.

      Thanks for asking! And congrats on your little girl!

      Delete
  7. I am a first time Mom at 33 years old and we don't find out our babies sex until mid-August. Our choice if it's a girl is Brixton Grace and we LOVE that name. Of course, the parents think it's the weirdest name and keep telling us it's a boys name. Little do they know when the baby comes out if it's a girl they'll be wrapped around Brixton's finger. :)

    I think it's very unique and different but yet very COOL sounding. So what is the nickname is Brix, right?

    Thanks,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen!

      Yes, we called him Brix at times. He has lots of nicknames! Congrats on your little one--I also had my first at 33. Best thing I've ever done.

      Kelley

      Delete
  8. Loved this! Especially the Tucker part-ha! We named our second son Brixton Max and are so happy we did. It's my favorite name and the nickname "brix" is equally as awesome! Good choice =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We just had our baby boy in December 2014 and named him Brixton! Brixton Joseph, funny how the "J" middle name is popular. Great minds think alike! We had family say the name sounded a little hard with the "x" and "brick". But it just felt like the right name when we saw him. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!