Is it possible that nesting is never over after becoming a mother?
I pondered this as I decided to tackle our 3 season porch today and paid the price for 3 months of neglect: dirt and dust an inch thick, flies shrouded tightly in webs and of course, the ever present spider. Or should I say spiders..seriously, so many spiders I thought I was going to faint every 30 seconds.
I hate spiders. All of them except Daddy Long Legs and I think this is due to a DLL spider that "lived" at my uncle's house when I was little. He lived in a small web in the bathroom near the toilet and I was encouraged to not be afraid of him when I had to go to the potty. Seriously, it seemed like that moment lasted for years, that that spider was really getting his mail at their house or something, but in reality it was probably a few days or a week tops.
So today, all the spiders came out. A lot of them were sitting on egg sacs, which made me feel kind of bad, thinking of them worried about their children, a la Charlotte's Web. But this didn't spare them from the swoosh-swoosh of my broom, nor the power-spraying later.
Um..yes. After removing everything from the porch I decided it needed a good soak down, so with our super-duper new nozzle, I sprayed the porch, carefully avoiding the 3 prong outlets and feeling like any moment I was going to hear a sizzle and then show up on a TV show called "10 Stupidest Human Moments." As I was spraying the porch, I noticed the windows were awfully dirty and sprayed them too. And the siding! Oh my! Isn't that supposed to be white? The siding didn't escape a washing either and I swear I would have used soap and a sponge if I'd had time.
Where was Brixton the whole time? I have no clue. Just kidding. He was either in his swing watching me and squealing with joy or laying on his playmat inside alternating between fusses and kicking his friends Tommy Turtle and Tinty the Tintenfisch.
Added to the fact that I've already switched the closet out to my Fall/Winter wardrobe, I wonder...do we ever lose the nesting instinct? I kind of like it though, it's a very powerful motivator to get stuff done.
Any of you had post-baby nesting?
Please don't encourage fall or especially winter by already preparing for it so soon!! It's bad enough that school has already started and the stores already have halloween stuff on display!! We need to hold on to summer with both hands!!!! Ahhhhhh!!! Dear god please keep the snow away for as long as possible!!
ReplyDeleteMy nesting urges have only been urges. I lack the energy to power wash my siding. ;-)
ReplyDeleteCalista~ I know! What's wrong with me??? I actually don't really like summer very much so maybe that's why I'm trying to kick it out!
ReplyDeleteLGP~LOL!!
I start nesting at the end of every season, I don't know why. Although it's still hot as hell, my brain is telling me that summer is over. So I've been cleaning like crazy!! It's rejuvenating to me, I love looking around the house and seeing little projects done!
ReplyDeleteYes! I nest every single Fall. It's an issue!
ReplyDelete