I would call myself a person that is slightly paranoid and distrusting of strangers. More so now that I have Brixton. The news stories don't help: home invasions, break-ins, murders. Maybe I'm more than slightly paranoid; I prefer to call myself vigilant.
Today, as I was in the kitchen preparing Brixton's lunch (tofu, grapefruit and cheese--delish), I saw him. A man, walking down the sidewalk, yellow shirt, clipboard, name badge. Ugh. I thought. A solicitor. Why do they have to knock on my door? I'm busy/have social anxiety/don't want to talk to you/don't want to buy anything. He knocked. I ignored. Brixton blew our cover by screaming, so when the man knocked again, I answered.
Blah blah blah, the man said. You know, the same old stuff. I wasn't really listening, just hearing blah blah blah. Until..
Until he asked to see our energy bill to determine if there were "cost-savings" to be had.
(small red flag in brain goes up).
Giving him my energy bill to look at first involves me leaving the door unattended. Maybe he thinks I won't lock it behind me. Maybe he'll come in uninvited. Who knows. Or he could peek around at things while I'm occupied. If I give him my bill, he's got our names and who know what other info he can glean from that. H to the ell no, I'm not giving you my energy bill. (Mama Grizzly roar).
I am reluctant. I am not going to show him the bill. He's not arguing, persay, just trying to persuade me a bit that he can find these hidden gems, these cost savings. No, I say shaking my head. That's okay.
Is there a time when your husband is home?
(*brakes screeching* Red Flag Waving.)
How do you know I have a husband? Why would you need to talk to him if I've already expressed disinterest?
Okay, maybe it was a simple question asked by a young man out beating the streets working hard for his family. And I'm an equal-opportunity paranoist, so the only requirement for me is that you are male and asking me strange questions at my door.
But. Scary things happen, people. If I tell him, oh my husband works out of town, he might (if criminally inclined) think target. If I say, oh he's home in the evenings, it's just me and my tiny baby here all day long, alone and unprotected, well, I might as well make a "Welcome Thieves & Rapists" banner and stick it outside of my home during working hours.
I told him my husband is always home, because he works here. (With an undertone of don't come here again). Then I smiled, because I'm also polite and hoping for the chance that this guy is just working and actually not trying to case my house.
10 minutes later I couldn't shake the feeling that something in those questions was wrong. So I called the cops. Nothing wrong with filing a concern, that's why they are there and if it was nothing, then hooray!, but if it saved somebody from something then it was the right thing to do.
I'm writing this not to showcase my social awkwardness and paranoia, but to remind you ladies, all ladies, but especially SAHMs that you need to be careful what information you are sharing with strangers. Because none of us want to be victims.
Um...yikes! How scary/nervewracking. I think you did the right thing.
ReplyDeletei don't know if my comment went through or not. my computer went crazy. if i did, oops. if not, here it is again...
ReplyDeletei don't blame you. when we first moved in to our neighborhood, i had solicitors at my door from 8 am-5 pm. i eventually put out a 'no solicitors' sign. maybe you could put a big pair of muddy boots at your door, so when the man looks inside, he automatically assumes there is a man home.
Yeah that just made this mama bear be on edge too! You did the right thing!
ReplyDeleteUgh, I totally get that. Because I run on the paranoid side at times, I posted a sign on my door that reads: If I don't know you, I will not answer the door.
ReplyDeleteMama G-Right? No fun!
ReplyDeleteDeanna--Love the boots idea. I'll get like size 17 boots and then also leave a shotgun shell next to them.
Sarah--rawr!! I don't know how you do it, living in the country! I would be freaking out!
Kim~I'll bet you sometimes they still ring too..
I think if it were me, I wouldn't open the door even if I knew the person saw me through the window. I live on a tiny side street out of town, and I am not really comfortable with people coming to our house at all period. I don't even like it when delivery people or the fuel oil guys comes to our house.
ReplyDeleteI think you did the right thing by calling the cops. I don't care if he was working for a living, whoever he was working for should know better than to hire someone to go door to door asking to see people's energy bills.
I let our four loving boxers bark like maniacs until they leave. They're all bark and no bite but it usually works and I don't even care if they see us or hear my son. Not worth something bad happening right?! New follower btw and totally lovin your blog!
ReplyDeleteI just don't answer the door. My daughter squeals when she hears the door because she thinks my husband is home and I still don't. I'm always paranoid but my little red flags went up as I read this. Go you for being calm!
ReplyDeleteAnd that boot thing with the shotgun shell just made me lol :p
Diana--I'm the same way..I don't like people coming to the house! And that IS just the wrong thing to ask, right?!
ReplyDeleteMrsFollis-Thanks for following! I just have the one boxer and she doesn't bark..but I always make like she's really mean so maybe they'll think she is!
Tilly--I should do what you do..just not answer. Then I feel all guilty.
Smart Thinking! I am very paranoid about strangers too. I don't have any children yet, but when I do, I know I'll even more cautious.
ReplyDeleteP.s. I love the name Brixton! I have actually always wanted to name my first boy "Braxton", so naturally I loved the variation :) You have a beautiful family!
Kelsey~thank you thank you!
ReplyDeleteI completely understand, mama! It's better to be a little paranoid and keep yourself and your babe safe than the alternative. I probably would have responded the exact same way! That line of questioning is either really pushy or just plain shady, so it definitely sounds like you did the right thing. Super cute blog, btw!
ReplyDeleteI wigged out one time when a man from the power company came to verify the numbers on our gas meter. I called the power company to inquire why they chose door knocking rather than contacting me to set an appointment of sorts. You never can be too safe. As a general rule I don't answer the door, unless, like you, our cover is blown. ;)
ReplyDeleteThat is totally freaky, and I think you should ALWAYS trust your gut.
ReplyDeleteI would get paranoia too! I never... never answer the door at my house unless I'm expecting a guest. If I didn't invite you here and I don't recognize you, I have no business talking to you. I did this once with a Comcast guy. I didn't know what to do, so of course I opened the door. It was dark so I let him stand in my entry way... um, what?... and immediately started feeling the anxiety. I wanted to change my mind and ask him to leave. My phone rang and he asked me if I was going to answer it... no... But the same thoughts ran through my head, 'is he taking inventory?' 'why does he want me to answer my phone?' I just let them pick another house to go to, even if they just watched me pull into the garage and shut the door... hahaha
ReplyDelete