Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Breakin' (a sweat)

I'm sick.

My tummy feels like I have baking powder in it and then I drank a cup of vinegar.  I'm all hot and verschwitzt.  I'm overwhelmingly tired.  

To top it off, B is traveling right now, so I have no one to fuss over me and make me tea.  I just made myself a bowl of cereal (the first thing I've eaten today) and that was a bad idea.  Milk, apparently, doesn't go well with baking powder and vinegar. (Something else that doesn't go well--baby kicking all over your stomach and ribs when you're sick..ugh).

I woke up during the night last night and instantly my first thought (besides my stomach hurts) was I wonder why break-dancing never made a comeback.  Don't you love those 3 am wondrous thoughts?

Seriously though, why didn't it?  

My second grade class was big into break-dancing.  Well, as best as a group of 7-8 year old white kids in a small Northern California town can be.  Our class was "known" for being the break dancing class.  We were presented by the principal with a break-dancing mat (thick, glossy cardboard that looked like bricks) and our teacher, Ms. Simone (the Ms. part being a bit of an eye-raiser in 1984) even let us pick out "Breakin'" as our Friday movie one week.  

The whole 80's thing came roaring back with a vengence a few years ago--egged on by hipsters, Urban Outfitters and MySpace--and it seemed nothing was safe.  But no one really rallied around break-dancing. Maybe it's too urban? Too physical?  Doesn't involve texting or other technology?

Sigh. Kids these days! (shaking fist)

I'm sure though there's a Wii Break-dancing game though.

(Just checked.  There is.) 

3 comments:

  1. i hope you feel better!! being sick while pregnant and with no one to take care of you sucks!!
    i love those random thoughts. the other day i thought about if Hugh Heffner dies, who will take care of the bunnies? will playboy die?
    break dancing made a comeback here in miami. Will and i used to go to this place called buck15 and every tuesday they had breakdancers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny Claudia..I can't stand Hugh Hefner and have said that I can't wait for the day of his funeral, when a bunch of implants will be parading down Hollywood Blvd or something. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't you ever see 'America's Best Dance Crew'? I think it was on MTV - not sure if it still is. Check it out - you'll love it since you're a breaker at heart. =)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!