Sunday, March 13, 2011

My Etsy Shopping Spree

Dear Friends,

Recently I went on a little shopping spree for Brixton on Etsy. If you don't know, Etsy is a website that allows regular, crafty people to sell their wares and you can find some amazing homemade stuff on there.  

I've never been an online shopper, but I have to admit it was so much fun to come home every day and find a little package waiting for me to open.  

We aren't hippies (though Brendan says that sometimes I smell like one), but I'm loving the handmade vibe and natural materials.  I know Brixton will have plenty of plastic toys too, so I wanted to get him some fun wooden cars and such to balance that out.  Plus, maybe one day he can pass them down to his kids (or just use them as kindling..whatever).  

Again, I have to thank Oma Kathy & Grandpa Keith, as they kicked Brixton down a little cash gift which I used to pay for this stuff.  Thanks guys, you are already wonderful grandparents.  

So, here's what I got~and I've included a link to the shop if you find anything you love too!

1. Sock Elephant
Let me tell you a little something--I hate stuffed animals.  Kids never seem to play with them and they just take up space.  But I knew that I had to provide a chance to some little animal somewhere to be Brix's new friend.  So when I found this cute little guy on Sheri94, I knew we had a match. She makes other animals too--like monkeys, frogs and horses. (if you click on the pic, the link will direct you to the shop)

2. Onesie With Tie
My favorite "theme" for little Brixton to dress to is "Little Gentleman."  I just think that's so cute. When I spied these onesies on We Choose Joy, I saw all sorts of possibilities: church, holidays, a Sunday stroll. The ties themselves are stitched on, rather than pressed or ironed on, and I really like that.  





3. Wooden Cars & Inchy
There's something about wooden toys that I just love.  Maybe it's the smell or the craftsmanship. When I was 20 I went to Berlin and stayed with a German family.  They had 3 kids and had only wooden or natural material toys.  I thought that was pretty neat and apparently it made an impression.  The Talking Tree makes all kinds of wooden toys-from cars to blocks to little pull-alongs on wheels.  



4. Wool Sweater
I know I should just be thinking spring, but I can't help but to think ahead to the next cold winter when I'll be responsible for keeping a little mister warm.  Again, trying to go along with the "Little Gentleman" theme, I found this adorable, handmade sweater, which is appropriately named "Little Gentleman." The shop, Velocity, is small, but the quality of the work is excellent and the wool was so soft--not scratchy like you might expect.  Almost makes me look forward to winter.  Almost.






5. Wooden State Teethers
I could have chosen about 10 of these wooden teethers, as they just came in the cutest shapes imaginable (I was partial to the cupcake and the submarine myself) but I felt like we needed to give shout-outs to our home states with California and New Jersey teethers.  Little Sapling Toys makes more than teethers though--try blocks, puzzles, stackers and cars.  Seriously though, check them out.


I have a few more things to show you, but think this post has gone on long enough for now!  Tune in for the next installment of "My Etsy Shopping Spree!"


Please Vote for Us! xoxo


5 comments:

  1. ok. so that sock elephant is the cutest thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, Kelley!!! So cute! The elephant is adorable and the onesies are too cute!!! The sweater is beautiful---I'd like one for myself! Oh, I am getting so excited! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for blogging about my little elephant friend!I'm glad he's able to convert you a little bit towards our stuffed little critter friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelley! This is Rosie from We Choose Joy! I received your little note and link to your blog. I was so excited to hear you are expecting. Congratulations and thank you so much for your support of our little shop :) It means more than you know!! Hope the next few months go by smoothly for you <3

    Hugs,
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!