Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Do You Know This Book?

Just continuing on our crying theme from yesterday, I forgot to list this one and this one is BIG.  It says the author is Robert Munsch, which must be the name the devil goes by when he's writing a book that mothers of little boys will read.  My mother had this book in the house while I was growing up.  I'd read it to my little brothers and get all teary.  How she had that in the house without turning into a pile of ash, I don't know.  

I took this book with me to school once in 11th grade and showed it to a very foxy young man a year younger than me.  We were sitting in science class, ignoring Mr. Werner as usual, when he read it. And burst into tears.  I'm not kidding.  This book can bring a 15 year old boy to his knees.  

Now I'm the old lady in the story.  I'm the one rocking the little boy throughout all the stages in his life.  I can't even read the darn thing now.  

Sometimes, if you're ever feeling emotionally constipated, read this book.  You'll be crying for days..

8 comments:

  1. it's so funny, because i always remember how reading this book makes me feel. but then one day i'll randomly pull it out and think, 'i can do it this time! i WILL make it through this book!' but then i get to the first 'chorus' and my throat starts to crack, and i basically have to whisper the rest of the book to gage.

    i think the lady who gave me this at my baby shower must have hated me. but i will add that the thought of the little old lady climbing up a ladder into her grown son's window makes me giggle. (although i can totally see myself doing that.) our poor boys. how will we ever let go? :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, for some reason, the image of you having to whisper the book to Gage cracks me up!

    Yes, how will we let go? I can't!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just added this to a list of books to get for Logan for Christmas. I might just have to get it sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diana~ Brace yourself and get those tissues ready!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't get through that book without crying! And yet I can't wait to read it to our little dumpling when he/she makes an appearance in December....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've known that book since I was a child and my mama had it for us, and now it's always given at baby showers. :) I'm bawling reading it without being a parent, can't imagine when I am!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember when my elementary teacher read it to us during story time and I had to hold that knot in my throat ALL day. Its such a sweet book! And while I was pregnant I took my husband to borders so he could read it and as he closed the last page he handed me the book and said " thanks. Now I have to walk to the men's bathroom to cry" hahah too much!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!