Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Something Stinks...

..and it's me.

Ok. Confession time folks: I reek.

This is new for me since becoming pregnant. I actually need (really, really need) deodorant.  My whole life, including puberty, I wasn't a stinky person.  I never really wore deodorant and didn't need to.  I rarely had anyone give me a heads up that I smelled like garbage and if they did it was probably because they got too close after a day of me wearing a poly-blend shirt.  

And..maybe another confession..I hate showering.  Maybe not the shower part so much as the doing my hair after.  Ugh.  It just seems so time consuming and a pain.  Yes, I've invested in a shower cap, which is used a lot, but still, I only shower about 2-4 times a week.  My longest stint without?  Probably about 5 days and yes, I went into public.  

Sorry public.

But then again, I'm not sorry, because I'm telling you--I didn't stink!  I've always owned a stick of deodorant, you know, just in case.  I went through a Whole Foods phase (think Hemp lotion and Tom's Natural Deodorant)for a while.  I'm convinced that Tom's actually makes you stink.  I don't think they mean the ingredients are natural, I think they mean the deodorant is going to make you smell natural (read: like a hippie).  I had a roommate once that used Tom's.  B and I called her The Onion.  The house smelled like onions constantly from her pits.  She showered every day too.  Tom's sounds like a good idea, but trust me, it isn't (unless, of course, you want to smell like an onion or a hippie).

Then I got pregnant and something funny started to happen.
I'd give B a hug and he'd pull away with a stink face.  His eyes would travel down to my armpit and then he'd carefully ask, "When was the last time you showered?"  Sometimes it was just a few hours after a shower.  When I started smelling myself, I knew we had a problem.  It didn't seem to matter what kind of soap I used or if the pits had been shaved or not.  The stink was from within.

So now I am forced to step up my hygiene habits.  More showers, deodorant..what is this world coming to?

Did this happen to anyone else after they had a baby?

Off to take a shower... 

3 comments:

  1. I don't really like showering either, especially in the winter (I'm in NY). Now that it's summer and I'm back to work, I have to shower daily and it's kind of a bummer. I was about to try Tom's deodorant since someone told me the aluminum in most brands is bad for you. I do live in a very hippie-granola-crunchy town, so maybe I'll just smell like everyone around me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's crazy what babies do to us! This didn't happen to me, but I have noticed I sweat a lot more. Oh, and my hair is finally starting to fall out.

    and I also hate showering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha i'm not gonna lie...same thing happened to me. IT SUCKS! I now shower almost every day and before Porter, only a few times a week. Lame.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!