Sunday, July 31, 2011

How'd They Do It?

These dog days of summer got me thinking.
The sweltering temperatures, oppressive humidity coupled with the sting of mosquito bites and all of the creepy crawlies that come out at night make me wonder: 
How in the world did the pioneers do it?

How did they sleep in 90 degree heat with humidity? 
What on earth would they wear?

We live in a 1924 house with central air.  
It works well on the main floor, but doesn't do squat for our attic office/guest room.  As I type this it must be in the mid 80s in here and Brendan is scrambling around with various fans and whatnots trying to get the right combination of drafts going to suck some cool air from downstairs.

Not working by the way.

Also, how did pioneer women get anything done??
It's an easy task for me to reach into the fridge for some goodies to make dinner.
Laundry is pretty easy too.

But pioneering with an infant? 
I have the feeling that babies had to just cry a lot more back then.

How did anyone sleep?
How did the farmer husband stand it, knowing he had to get up at 4 am to start yet another back-breaking day of work?
 What if you were nursing and ran out of milk?

And don't get me started on diapers. Or lack thereof.

Really, it's a mystery how we made it this far..

And now, some completely unrelated photos!
  
Have a great August!
(Can you even believe it's already August??!)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelley,

    I'm sorry I haven't said hi sooner- I have been following your blog for a couple of months now and I love it :) You are so honest and your emotion is real :) I JUST started a blog so it is a work in progress :)

    ANYWHOOOO.... I agree completely that babies more than likely cried a lot more. I also think a lot of responsibility fell on older siblings to help and not to mention that families looked a lot different back then. They stuck together and helped each other. As for diapers.... scary thought. haha :)

    I know I am grateful for modern conveniences... even when they don't seem very convenient :) (All I have to do is think about scrubbing my laundry on a washboard) lol

    p.s. your family is beautiful :) and that papa/son photo makes my heart melt :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I reply to them too!