Yesterday I brought some frozen breastmilk from the upstairs freezer to the big basement deep freezer and I decided to take inventory. I'm still pumping 3-4 times a day and freezing a serving everyday to add to the supply. Throughout the first few months I would freeze some here and there, trying to get my reserves going. I figured I probably had about 80 ounces down in the basement. But I didn't. I have 148.75 ounces.
That feels pretty awesome!
That means at this point when I stop pumping in November (or whatever I decide) I already have enough for Brix to continue having one bottle of breastmilk for about 30 days. My favorite part though, is that we can use the milk to mix his rice cereal when he starts that up. I imagine that will taste a million times better than formula (which is so disgusting tasting..I feel bad for him).
I was running out of the milk storage bags and starting to get into that mentality of "oh..but when the bags are gone, I just will stop pumping." I don't know why I'm like that. I don't completely despise pumping, it's a chore and a hassle sometimes, like when you are dog-tired and just want to go to bed, but...oh..have to pump first. Anyway, I was at Target today and bought 50 more of the storage bags and since I don't waste anything that I buy (a post in itself), I will be sure to use them all...
Anyone out there want to brag about their frozen milk stash? How big is yours?

Awesome! Keep going! I've got about 150 in my freezer, adding about 5 - 8 ounces a day depending on how my supply is. I plan on contuining to increase it, not just for my baby, but I would love to donate to anyone in need. I pump twice a day, but have been fitting in a third about 2 nights a week.
ReplyDeleteBrooke~
ReplyDeleteWow, I wish I could make enough to donate! That's a really great thing to do!
Kelley
I'm jealous!
ReplyDeleteMy milk supply plummeted when I started pumping. In hindsight I should've started from the very beginning. Maybe next time ...
LGP~
ReplyDeleteMaybe since I've only been pumping it didn't effect it as much, but I do wonder if I would have made even more milk had I actually breastfed..
Mine was GIGANTIC. (and yes, lol, I will brag). I pumped exclusively for my twins for one year (stopped the day they turned one, I was done, lol). I had a really huge stash. I went to Paris for a week with my sister when they were 10m months old. They were able to have only breastmilk the entire time I was gone, and that was my goal. They were literally out the moment I got back, so it worked out fine. You are AWESOME for pumping so long. So many people give up because its so much harder than nursing. So proud of you! Keep it up!! And I disagree with you PP. I only nursed for two weeks, and my milk was very substantial. So, I wouldn't worry.There are also natural herbs you can take that help, and you can also do one "power pump" session a day to help as well. You are doing great though! (long time reader, first time poster)
ReplyDeleteHi BabyStriblings of the "Fabulous" sort! I've read through your blog too..! Ok, it's good to know there are other lovelies out there pumping..it is hard to do, I can't wait to be done!!
ReplyDeletebe careful about how full you fill your bags. i'm currently weening so we're supplementing one feeding a day with frozen milk and half of my bags have had holes in them. i might have filled them too full or not been gentle enough with them in the freezer.
ReplyDeletepumping is exhausting, i didn't think i'd make it past 4 months and here we are at 6 months :) keep up the hard work mama!
Lissa~That's a good point and reminder! I worked once for a family that used those freezer bags and they got holes in them frequently. I really hope that doesn't happen to me..what a bummer! Good for you going on 6 months!! I'm struggling!
ReplyDelete148.75 ounces is quit an occomplishment. I am breastfeeding my baby so the frozen milk adds up SO fast and since I'm not using any yet I get to admire all of my hard work. I have about 900 saved from Feb and matchbox and I am adding 40+ ounces a day to my frozen stash. When I'm done nursing my baby I should be able to feed him my milk for another year (hopefully)!!! Breast milk ROCKS!!
ReplyDelete900!!?? I had to read that twice! I am tempted to be extremely jealous!! That is amazing!
Delete