I know every place on the floor where it creaks.
I have a special "mom-walk" I do, much like hopscotch, that I play in the hall between Brixton's room and ours. It even involves jumping on one foot in one area.
When I wash dishes, I close the door so that the noise doesn't wake up a sleeping somebody from his slumber and I place silverware one-by-one into the dishwasher, gently placing them in the tray.
And then..there's Brendan.
Slamming drawers.
Going in and out of the loud, squeaky door right next to Brixton's room.
Playing rough with the dog.
Blowing his nose at the decibel of a jet-plane flying overhead.
Walking around, creaking floors be damned.
While making dinner: banging spoon on the pot -- bang! bang! bang!
On the phone: Hey! How's it going?
And my favorite: The "I've got to take a shower" after we've been trying to get the baby down for 2 1/2 hours and we just got him down (note: shower and Brixton's room share a wall).
And my favorite: The "I've got to take a shower" after we've been trying to get the baby down for 2 1/2 hours and we just got him down (note: shower and Brixton's room share a wall).
I'm trying not to live in a sound-proofed bubble. I swore I would never be like that and stupidly thought the baby would "just have to get used to our sounds." That's all well and good if you don't mind your baby waking up a lot and you also don't mind something called eating dinner with your screaming infant in your lap every night.
Am I alone in this? Do other husbands seem to break the sound barrier when the baby is sleeping?
P.S. A note on the formatting here: Blogger always does this to my posts. Random single then double spacing. Paragraphs that I never intended. Spaces where there were no spaces before. Blogger, I'm beginning to hate you.
we had this exact discussion two nights ago. so funny. love your blog. i'm your newest follower.
ReplyDeletemen. jeez.
ReplyDeletehave you tried this- change the font size of what you want to change when you are all done writing the post...that's what i do because otherwise if i make something huge and then want the next writing to be smaller, it always F's it up.
Your little one is so cute. My husband mastered the art of doing most of activities quietly from closing the door to drawers in the first year. It took some adjustments.
ReplyDeleteThe shower thing. OMG. What is it with men wanting to take showers right next to the nursery? H does this all the time.
ReplyDeleteBlogger does the same thing to me sometimes and it is SO frustrating!
ReplyDeleteWe do not have very forgiving wood floors outside my lil' man's room. I am still working a little "dance" to get by it without him hearing! He has super powers and can hear any tiny creak or sound and wakes up!
ReplyDeleteI definitely found myself nodding and chuckling throughout this post. This is just all too familiar and is exactly how things play out in our house as well. The worst is when we have out of town visitors or family. They just don't understand the concept of shushing up when a baby is sleeping!
ReplyDelete